PDA

View Full Version : Advice on the North Umpqua

SFMike
01-26-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm heading up there in mid February and wondered if anyone could give me advice on flies. I'll be spey fishing and have all the traditional tips and plenty of T14 for making new ones. I was specifically wondering what flies people use in winter up there and if I should just head up to the fly only water and fish around there. I've never fished it before, so I'd really appreciate any advice or info.

Thanks!
Mike

Rick J
01-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I would opt for rabbit leech/marabou patterns or intruders, but the old standbys will work also - green butt skunks. Be sure to stop in and see Joe Howell at the Blue Heron Fly Shop just down from the FF only section - in fact you could call ahead to try and get a read on what is happening. He probably knows more about that river than anyone I know and is a great guy - he will also have some good fly recommendations.

Blue Heron Fly Shop | (541) 496-0448
109 Hargis Lane, Idleyld Park, OR, 97447

Good luck

matt johnson
01-27-2008, 10:55 AM
hey SFMike,

Ditto what Rick J said

The North Umpqua in the winter is big water. At least to my perspective. The holding water primarily consists of ledge-bound slots and deep tailouts just like in the summer, but everything seems "amplified" in the winter due to the reduced clarity, speed, and volume. In such a situation I feel most confident fishing something with a BIG profile. Rick J's "Tandem Tube Leeches" (see earlier post in this forum) would be perfect.

If you are used to fishing the summer run, all your favorite runs will be too fast or even a rapid unless the water is really low. The only exception to this would be the Boat Pool. Boat kind of looks like Boat to me in the winter. It is a whole different river in the winter. Really beautiful up there this time of year, more so than the summer if that is possible? All of the tribs are pumping and everything is super green. Not many people, and no gear guys running over the top of you while side-drifting the opposite bank! (at least not up in the fly-only water). It is still a really tough gig and I would anticipate fishing out MANY un-answered casts, but if you catch the water right you'll have a very good chance at hooking up. North Umpqua winters seem to be a "grabby" race of steelhead. Is it just me or does it seem like the furthur north you go the more responsive the winter run fish are to a swung fly presentation? Good luck! Matt.

bigtj
01-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I started catching a lot more steelhead when I began culling out water that's more than about 6 feet deep. On the NU most of the productive water isn't that deep, especially in winter when the fish feel more comfortable in shallower water. if the water is ripping, or super deep, I would move on to another spot.

As far as flies go a 4" rabbit leech in black, purple, or cerise will catch steelhead anywhere.

I would fish the fly water, it's a nicer experience.

TaylerW
01-28-2008, 11:22 PM
BE SAFE!!!!! :shock: :shock:
that river is deadly, make sure you have a wading staff and good boots, a life vest would be smart too, from my experience one will come in handy.
SLIPPERY!!!!!!!

best of luck
Tayler WElls

jfkowalski
01-29-2008, 11:24 PM
The North Umpqua is a bedrock river, and the slime never gets rubbed off the rocks. It is one of the slickest rivers that I have ever fished. I have been standing on a ledge wearing spikes and the current would move me downstream. Good spikes and a wading stick are a necessity

The Blue Heron often recommends that you use large, flashy flies, like 4 or 5 inches long. The water will be cold, and it is hard to make the fish move. I often use a tube fly with a long 4 or 5 inch tail made out of flash type materials. Some of the other flies mentioned by others are also 4 or 5 inches long

Rick J
01-30-2008, 08:18 AM
could not agree more with the above - iwould never wade this river without korkers or some good cleats except for a few runs that are gravel and not the bedrock - I have taken some pretty nasy spills in this river - the best was chasing a fish that went over a tailout lip so that one was worth it :). The others not so much!!