PDA

View Full Version : Floating Fishing Line: Tossing My Fuzzy Indicators Away

OceanSunfish
01-22-2008, 04:30 PM
P-Line introduced a fishing line that floats. This line is marketed towards the steelhead float fishing enthusiast.

The line is spooled onto a casting reel or spinning reel no different than mono, etc. It has a spectra core and a pliable coating to ease handling. The line floats enabling someone to move or somewhat mend the line for that dead free drift which was often difficult to do with mono that sinks.

With the advent of this new floating fishing line, I find myself questioning the need to pack a fly rod just for 'float' (indicator) fishing now that I can spool up this floating fishing line onto a smooth Shimano Curado. The line peels from the spool smoothly for a fantastic drift, casting is a ton easier with greater water coverage that is highly more precise and efficient, with wind-up/casting at least twice as fast as with a fly rod and reel.

So why bother with the fly rod and reel if I am just going to 'float' fish?

I can still pack the fly rod for traditional swing fishing (my first preference) along with my 'float' rig.

What are everyone's thoughts? Does this floating fishing line eliminate the last practical reason to use a fly rod/reel set up for float fishing?

Thanks.

Rick J
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I would say long before this stuff came out there were far more deadly methods than indicator fly fishing if you just use a bubble on a spinning/bait casting rod.

When Bruce and I were up in BC last spring fishing out of Nicolas Dean, our guide had a bait caster rigged up with a beatifully crafted balsa float and he could get dead drifts of easily 50 yards and it was a kick to play around with it! It was much more deadly than any possible fly fishing mehtod.

So whatever floats your boat - this line does sound like it has advantages over monofilament but I can't imagine a more deadly method than the one our guide Sky had set up!

Darian
01-22-2008, 05:45 PM
No problemo. :D :D Just do it.... :D

Actually, this line doesn't sound like it's much different than the first shooting head system I ever saw. This head came from france and had a braided nylon core with a clear plastic coating. The brand was Abu/Garcia. As I recall, the length of this head was around 20' and was slightly tapered. The line was intended for use on a spinning reel/pole. It was cast by letting the head out of the tip-top; then a single back cast and let it go.... :shock: In those days, it was not the distance cannon that current heads are but good enough to cover a lot of water.... :D :D :D They didn;t last long as they tended to retain the coils from the spool and wouldn't stretch to save your life.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jbird
01-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Power pro has a hollow core product that has been around for a while. It floats well and mends easily if the wind is calm. Mark (AKA Sculpin) has been using this method for a long time. He calls it noodle rodding and fishes a weighted (castable) torpedo bobber and heavy nymphs on a long flyrod blank (4wt I think) with a spinning reel packed with power pro. Its so effective its not even funny...its really not fair. In fact, when we go out and the fishing's tough, He'll make a couple drifts with the noodle rod to see if anything really is there. You can put some serious hurt on the steelies with that settup. Very dangerous in the wrong hands :shock:

Jay

Pappy
01-22-2008, 08:04 PM
You're right that there isn't a more efficient technique to present a dead drift. The technique is big in BC and the Great Lakes though we are seeing more of it popping up on the west coast.
The absolute longest,deadest drift is accomplished with a center-pin reel. The reel looks like alot like a fly reel but the spools shaft is mounted on a pair of bearings with no drag. You can free spin a good center-pin reel and it will spin for minutes. You also have to fight your fish by palming the spool.
Line managemet is accomplished by using rods in the 11' to 15' range, it's easier to hold the line off the water and over micro currents.
There is a learning curve to handling the equipment and alot of people get frustrated and give it up but with a little instruction and alot of practice it's the best way possible to get a drag free drift.

As far as floating lines the new Hydro float looks to be a good line. There's also a floating mono made by Siglon that works real well for "Center-Pinning".

roostersgt
01-22-2008, 10:32 PM
An advantage I see to using a fly rod would be the ability to quickly pick up and cast again without having to reel the line in. A little more efficient perhaps? I'm sure both tools would be effective.

Steve

OceanSunfish
01-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the fantastic replies and commentary.

BTW, in my quest to find a rod for this very application, I looked into a noted switch rod manufacturer's blanks and I was surprised to find out that they are already supplying their blanks to a custom rod maker to make 10-6" "hydro float" rods. It seems as though people are already thinking that the Hydro Float product will not require such a long rod to control the line since it floats.

I had no idea center pin reels were so fast and smooth. The aspect of applying hand pressure for a drag is exciting and sporty.

I am curious to see if this product would make a decent running line too. Durability will be the issue as well as whether or not it's slick enough, etc.

mr. 3 wt.
01-23-2008, 05:28 PM
flyfishing is easy compared to pinning. Once you have mastered the pin, you have made it to the top. It is the most effective way to steelhead anywhere. Some call it float fishing, some call it pinning. You can use a spinning/bait caster but the drifts are not as crisp as a cp. There is a guy in Redding who makes custom cp rods. Check out cal-west custom rods on the net. Nice stuff!

OceanSunfish
01-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the referal. I am always interested in learning new and different ways to fish for the same species.

In application, "Pinning" just makes sense as does Spey and swinging flies.

I look forward to the day when I have both time and resources to be adept at both.

Thanks.