PDA

View Full Version : Building better Mousetraps .......

David Lee
01-22-2008, 09:19 AM
I had the chance to watch Steve Duckett tye last weekend . Steve showed me a better weighting system that not only sinks a bug better , but has the added attraction of noise ! How do you top that ?!?

http://www.bouncerflies.com/

Have a look at what he's doing - IMO , the possibilities are endless !!

David :D

erhetta
01-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Very interesting patterns. Great concept.

Darian
01-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Interesting system.... :-k :-k Wonder if it still rattles when suspended :?: Since the mono doesn't lie flat, it looks like the beads might tend to stay in the center (against each other). :? :? I kinda like the idea of adding a prop to the pattern. Remember the old Injured Minnow plug :?: :?: Something new to play with. :nod: :nod:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Very creative guy......thanks David.

David Lee
01-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Wonder if it still rattles when suspended :?:

It would stand to reason ..... 8)

IF the eyes were epoxied in place in the front - the added weight of said epoxy <SHOULD> be enough to cause the front end to dip .... :idea: That should cause the beads to click when you pop the line . We'll have to screw with this and see what happens ......

The reason I posted this ?? I'm becoming much more aware of fly design as of late - I see lots of really good looking bugs , but most are pretty 'normal' (not that you can't use time-tested flies and catch fish) . I'm just wondering if the 'out-of-the-box' frame of mind can't solve a few of the common problems that I'm seeing on the flies we commonly use .

On the other hand ....... I'm tempted to fish NOTHING but a 1/0 White Deceiver and a #8 Olive Bugger for the coming season .... and actually count the #'s this time .

I doubt there is a 'superfly' , or only ONE way to skin the Cat...... but it IS kind of interesting to mull over from time to time .

Just thinking out loud again .

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Sounds like we need to go scuba diving with sonar equipment soon........

I think those flies really give many ideas for spin-offs of that idea.

slage
01-23-2008, 12:53 AM
I've kinda been obsessed with this idea all day, thanks for posting David.
Tried the bounce with a more traditional steelhead fly.
These beads are really heavy, craft-store stuff that never quite fit anything else. This fly weighs a ton, pretty fun stuff. Really have a lot of potential here. :D
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/slage/IMG_1686.jpg

David Lee
01-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Damm :shock: !! Fine lookin' fly !!!!!!

You tye as well as you shoot photos !

Try tying hook point up , less snags during the hang down :idea:

David

Adam Grace
01-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Cool idea!

Slage, make sure that you do not close up the gap of the hook too much to make setting the hook more difficult, but nice looking fly.

slage
01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys,
I took both thoughts (point the wrong way and gap too small) into consideration, but simply liked the way this guy turned out.
Definately room to play.
Funny how aesthetics can be a judge, huh?
I was thinking about attaching a weed guard, and going upside-down with the hook on a traditional pattern but my fingers won't let me. Blasted visuals.

David, congrats on the ISE show. Truely awesome!! :D
I forgot to comment earlier and didn't make the show. :?
I've tried to make the show over the last couple of years but I can't trade a day on the water for one indoors.
Probably not the best move, but the water be calling me..
Has anyone else played around with the bounce??

slage
01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys,
I took both thoughts (point the wrong way and gap too small) into consideration, but simply liked the way this guy turned out.
Definately room to play.
Funny how aesthetics can be a judge, huh?
I was thinking about attaching a weed guard, and going upside-down with the hook on a traditional pattern but my fingers won't let me. Blasted visuals.

David, congrats on the ISE show. Truely awesome!! :D
I forgot to comment earlier and didn't make the show. :?
I've tried to make the show over the last couple of years but I can't trade a day on the water for one indoors.
Probably not the best move, but the water be calling me..

Darian
01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I sure do like Steelhead patterns. They're easy/fun to tie and very attractive.... :) :)

I'm curious about why your design puts the weight outside the body materials :confused: Was your choice made for flash or getting the fly down, or both :?: :?:

I'm with Adam.... Be careful about obstructing the gap of the hook.

Be sure to keep us in the loop. I really like the way you're going with this. :D :D

David Lee
01-27-2008, 08:03 PM

RUBBERBUGGER BOUNCER

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/flies_010.jpg

Hook - Daiichi1710 (2X long , 1X strong) , #4

Thread - Olive Flymaster +

Tail - Chart/Silver flake Sili-Legs

Body - Olive Ice Chenille

Hackle - Jay Fair Chart/Grizzly schlappen

Beads - nothing to measure 'em with , 2 tiny , 2 small .

20 lb. Mason

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/flies_009.jpg

Darian
01-27-2008, 11:32 PM
hmmm,.... You guys may've solved the need for a weed guard. Good looking fly David. That one is a Smallmouth getter for sure. :D :D

Hairstacker
01-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Rubberbugger? I don't know why, but that name cracks me up. :lol: It definitely does have a bassy look to it though. . . . By the looks of it, I'll bet it fishes great! =D>

Adam Grace
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Cool fly David, I have to try that next spring.

I'd also want to try some thinner round variegated rubber legs as well.

Thanks for sharing

Dustin Revel
01-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I've got some really dense hematite beads that never fit on a hook...

slage
01-31-2008, 01:10 PM
David, really nice bug!
That thing is nasty..
I have been MIA for a couple of days but got back to it. Here is a "correct" bouncer. Rootbeer, hot-butt spey?? Or something..
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/slage/IMG_1762.jpg

David Lee
01-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Slage , that fly looks GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted as to how it acts and fishes .

David =D> =D> =D>

mike N
01-31-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't know, looks like a good way to lose a bunch of perfectly good beads to me. :? Plus it looks like the fly tied on the up turned eye won't fish right either, up turned eyed hooks typically fish point down. My $.02 anyway. Otherwise nice looking bugs all.

MN

slage
02-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Had the rootbeer bouncer out in the American the other day and it responded nicely. I was actually amazed at how long I was able to keep the fly at the end of a drift. No snags at all. The sheen of the beads was another :!: moment, I could spot the fly from a healthy distance.
All and all pretty good. It swam very well.
I've been messing around with tubes lately so I had to convert the bouncer into a tube. I realize it may end up loosing one of it's attributes (snagging) but we'll see...
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/slage/IMG_1786.jpg

Darian
02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Hmmm,.... Interesting concept.... :) Actually, the weight should allow tying a bucktail or feather wing on a pattern as the tube won't rotate around the leader. New design consideration....

I'm kind of a tube fly dummy so I hope my questions aren't laughable.... Isn't the idea of a tube fly to allow the body of the fly to ride loosely on the leader :?: :?: Just wondering if the weight doesn't make the fly ride down at the hook all of the time :?: :? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using a tube :?: :?:

slage
02-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey Darian,

The tube should sit snug on the lip of the trailing hook eyelet. Once struck, the tube releases, saving itself from being torn apart. Also, and I think more importantly, like string leeches, etc. the short stinger hook used here is to cut down on the fishes leverage. IE- throwing it. The weight of this guy may hold it down when struck more than ideally, but I was going more for the short leverage.
I'll keep at it and see what happens...
By the way, I found a lot of good info online for tying tubes. I used a paperclip with tying thread wrapped just tight enough to keep the tube in place. And, for the tubes themselves, plastic style earwax cleaners.
Ha! How great is that?

Jgoding
02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Nice flies guys. I recall seeing this design somehwere, I'll have to look it up. I believe it was in Tly Tyer.... but I could be wrong.