PDA

View Full Version : Project Idea

Dustin Revel
01-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey all,
I am required to do a "senior project" that is necesary to graduate. Originally this project was supposed to be something that directly benefits the community, but i persuaded my school's admin that a conservation project stands to give them more publicity than say working for the CPS for a few days. My question for you is, Do you have any ideas for a conservation project in nor cal? It must meet the 20 hour requirement, but I'm willing to do much more than that.
One idea I've had is to raise money with the approach that donors are actually buying small amounts of spawning gravel (by the cubic foot or so), and then introduce it to an anadromous stream. I was considering a tributary to the trinity river, but this is definately up for review, as is the whole idea up to this point.

Thanks Dusty

Darian
01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Dustin,.... The concept you mention for your potential project sounds OK. However, you might want to check with DFG about placing gravel into a spawning body of water before proceeding :? Not sure but there may be some permit requirement or restrictions involved. 8) 8) I don't have anything to offer here but good luck on the project. If, in the course of floppin' around, I have some inspiration, I'll post the thought....

Good luck :D :D :D

Dustin Revel
01-21-2008, 11:06 PM
yeah i would only do it with DFG's approval, but thanks for the heads up.

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
The best thing to do for conservation ideas (which I think is a brilliant idea for a senior project) is to visit your local fishing clubs. I am on the conservation committee through Granite Bay Flycasters down here, and there are many options for conservation. The fishing clubs' conservation committees usually know what is and is not allowed through their contacts at DFG. We have our own down here.

Keep us updated on what you decide.... I'd love to hear how your progress goes!

Good Luck :wink:

wjorg
01-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Dusty,

Spawning gravel has to be prewashed so the sediment on it does not contribute to the cementation of spawning gravel, similar to the effect when fine silts from erosion fill in the gaps between the gravel. That traps eggs and alevins in the gravel and prevents future digging of the redds by fish.

Just a heads up, but I applaud your effort towards Restoration.

There has always been a debate between Conservation Biologists and Restorative Ecologists as to what approaches are best. Just getting involved is the first step. Your proposed plan better fits the Restoration camp, not so much the Conservation camp....even though preservation is the goal of both. Sorry for the semantics, but my college years were thick with these issues.

Way to go!

Dustin Revel
02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I've done some brain storming and I've come up with an alternate idea; planting native species of trees in their historic locations in watersheds that suffer from sedimentation due to deforestation. I was thinking about doing this on a coatal river, but any suggestions you might have are appreciated. give me your thoughts please... I have no schooling in this field, so chime in with what you know.
thanks,
Dusty

TaylerW
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
dude just call the local forestry chapter in the locale you are planning on planting in, and i bet they would even give you the trees...