PDA

View Full Version : SNOW AND COLD WEATHER TO RETURN TO THE REGION BY LATE SUN

Digger
01-19-2008, 06:17 PM
A STRONG COLD FRONT IS FORECAST TO MOVE THROUGH THE SIERRA AND WESTERN NEVADA SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT. SNOW WILL DEVELOP OVER NORTHEAST CALIFORNIA AND WESTERN NEVADA MAINLY NORTH OF INTERSTATE 80 ON SUNDAY...THEN SPREAD SOUTH ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE REGION SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY INCLUDING THE RENO...CARSON CITY...AND LAKE TAHOE AREAS. BY MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY...THE BEST CHANCE OF SNOW IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 50 AND WEST OF HIGHWAY 95.

MANY VALLEY LOCATIONS COULD RECEIVE SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW FROM LATE SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY. IN THE SIERRA...THE LAKE TAHOE BASIN AND SOME FOOTHILL LOCATIONS OF WESTERN NEVADA...A FOOT OR MORE OF SNOW COULD ACCUMULATE BETWEEN SUNDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY.

TRAVEL WILL BECOME DIFFICULT ACROSS THE REGION FROM LATE SUNDAY THROUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK. VERY COLD WEATHER TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY WILL KEEP ROADS SLICK ACROSS THE REGION.

Darian
01-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Snow in "....many valley locations" :?: :?: Wonder of that means the Sacramento Valley :?: :?: :?: Guess we'll find that out tomorrow.... :? :?

Dave Neal
01-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Bring it on...we could all use a little deposit in the ol water bank :D

dtp916
01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Snow in "....many valley locations" :?: :?: Wonder of that means the Sacramento Valley :?: :?: :?: Guess we'll find that out tomorrow.... :? :?

Snowed in Redding while i was on the Lower Sac and we fished thru a pretty intense snow shower.

Snowed in Chico too.

alaskanfish
01-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I think Al Gore moved to Alaska :shock: Running around +40 and heavy rain... :( I guess another 15 or 20 degrees and we'll be fishing!!!

So, reading the news, I have to ask what happend to global warming? It sure is not in the headlines recently...

bigtj
01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
What do you mean "to return"? It's been snowing here for 4 days straight. It never left. We're supposed to get 2 more inches of snow tonight.

Ice flows on the river every morning...I think the trout may be sleeeeeepy.

Headlines, schmedlines. I don't believe a word I hear in the newspaper or on TV about global warming. It's all biased. I get my information from peer-reviewed scientific journals and my climatologist friends. The news just keeps getting worse. Those of us lucky enough to live another 50 years will look back at 2008 and wonder, why didn't we do more back then when we had the chance???

bigtj
01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
OK now we're up to snow for 9 days straight and 3 more storms on the way. The snow is piled 4 feet high on either side of the driveway and the warmest it's been in 10 days is about 40 degrees.

Is it ever going to end? I didn't realize I had moved from Reno to Wisconsin.

Dave Neal
01-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, bigtj we are seeing the pounding down here in Mammoth as well. Lotsa snow and lotsa wind too.

It is really a relief to see...we will have plenty of water this summer (If it keeps going consistent through the rest of winter).

The Walker should be in fine shape this spring!

:D :D :paranoid:

Digger
02-23-2008, 09:17 AM
And another 3 feet on the way.
It just doesn't get any better than this.

David Lee
02-23-2008, 09:21 AM
And another 3 feet on the way.
It just doesn't get any better than this.

Supposed to blow to well over 60 MPH here tonight !! Hope we don't wind-up in OZ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW , Digger ...... I figured out where your quote came from (Bender) .

David :D

bigtj
02-24-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure how you are defining "better than this". This year's precip is pretty average. If you're defining things by the amount of precip then yes it does get better than this. Personally I'm sick of shoveling snow from my driveway, all I care about is it getting "warmer than this"!

Ed Wahl
02-25-2008, 12:10 AM
While I feel for ya Bigtj, I'm mighty happy so far with the snowpack. Really want to see more of it. The canyon streams can use a good flushing this spring. As for all that snow shoveling, all I can say is, better you than me :lol:. Growing up in northern Illinois, I've shoveled all I'm going to shovel. Ed

jayclarkflyfishing
02-25-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm with you Bigtj...the shoveling is getting old.I have run out of places to put it and now am using a wheel barrow to carry it off the property.
Jay

bigtj
02-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the sympathy Ed, I can imagine why you wouldn't want to shovel snow any more.

What I was saying is, we're having just a slightly above average year snow-pack wise. The averages are in the 95-115% of average for SWE, and more like 95% for accumulated precip. With a dry spring, we could end up with an average or a little below average snow year. I guess I just think it's a little premature to be too excited about the snowpack. Better than last year, yes, but almost every other year in the past century was better than last year.

We'll see how it goes in March and early April. Those 6 weeks will put us over the top, or leave us with an average or slightly below average year.

FRSam
02-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah the snow is getting old - no question about that. I managed to run my Explorer off my driveway yesterday while trying to compact the snow...but it sure was nice to see some blue sky.

We've still got time for plenty of wet weather - which gives us old timers / curmudgeons something to bitch about - but the bottom line is we'll all be smiling ear to ear when we see our favorite buckets return after such a poor water year as 2006' / 2007'. :)

Pete

Digger
03-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the sympathy Ed, I can imagine why you wouldn't want to shovel snow any more.

What I was saying is, we're having just a slightly above average year snow-pack wise. The averages are in the 95-115% of average for SWE, and more like 95% for accumulated precip. With a dry spring, we could end up with an average or a little below average snow year. I guess I just think it's a little premature to be too excited about the snowpack. Better than last year, yes, but almost every other year in the past century was better than last year.

We'll see how it goes in March and early April. Those 6 weeks will put us over the top, or leave us with an average or slightly below average year.

A) not once did I mention "snowpack"
B) can anyone imagine what this summer would be like with another winter like last?
C) why is it you're always the most negative SOB on here? So much for your Oct. post to be a better person.
D) if I didn't want to shovel snow, I wouldn't live where it did

bigtj
03-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow Digger I guess I hit a nerve. The post you put in quotes had nothing to do with you, I was talking to Ed, and I'm just expressing my opinion, which is consistent with the SNOTEL data summaries. The only thing I couldn't understand in my post previous to the one you quoted was what you meant by "it doesn't get any better than this". It seemed like you were exaggerating, because the precip and snowfall does get better than this. A lot better than this. Remember 2005 and 2006, when we had 140 and 130 percent of normal snowpack? By my definition that's a lot better than what we're seeing right now.

Face it we are just having a normal year so far and the picture isn't all that rosy the way the storms are stalling right now. Sure, it could be worse, but it's probably a bit premature to start celebrating the end of the effects of last year.

I have no idea why you felt the need to call me an SOB for my opinion, but that definitely falls under the category of a personal attack, and that ain't cool. My post simply asked a question about what you meant, and evidently you read a lot of extra meaning into that. Go back and re-read my post objectively. There's nothing there that's negative, I'm simply asking a question....why do you think that it doesn't get any better than this, in reference to a storm with 3 feet of snow? Next time you could try expressing what you meant by clarifying you statement instead of turning around and calling me names.

By the way the Reno Gazette Journal just posted an article that the local hydrologists think this year is going to be just about normal precip wise. We still need a couple more storms to reach that point. If we have another dry spring we could end up below normal. Cross those fingers that doesn't happen. All I know is I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. We aren't out of the woods water-wise for the next few years by a long shot. A dry winter or two next couple years and we will be hurting big-time.

Here is a link to the article:

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080305/NEWS10/803050470/1047/NEWS

The only good news I have is that at least the snow has finally all melted from my yard!

Scott V
03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
My question is how will this snow or lack there of, effect the life style of the newly found Wolverines in the Sierras?

Darian
03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
As far as I can tell, only one wolverine was photographed and, according to those who have pronounced Woverines extinct in the Sierra's, that one may've been planted. :lol: :lol: :lol: Of course, that might mean that more development activities in the area just north of Hwy 89/Truckee would be taken off the table. :P :P Kinda makes ya wonder doesn't it.... :nod: ;)

Ed Wahl
03-06-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd like to shake the bloody stub of the guy who planted it. :lol: I'm going to camp up by Sagehen this year just so I can worry about a wolverine.

Darian
03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Ed,.... The "guy" was a female grad student. Wonder of she's good looking :?: :lol: :lol:

In reading the article, the author wrote that a scientist shot the last known Wolverine in the Sierra's sometime around 1920 so there would be a record of the species in a museum. :roll: :roll: Just the kind of science I really like to hear about. :evil: :evil:

davkrat
03-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Last year I was driving back from Sagehen and right to the north of I80 on the shoulder I swear I saw a wolverine. I thought I was crazy now you guys are saying someone planted one. I feel pretty damn lucky now. It looked like a seal with long golden fur standing at the edge of the trees watching cars go by. I almost crashed trying to wrench my head around, I was right near the Yuba Gap if I remember correctly. Any more info on this wolverine?

Darian
03-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Interesting.... Long hair, large size..... The golden fur thing sounds different, tho.

The Wolverine in the photo (taken from the rear) clearly showed the classic coloration of very dark brown with a light brown to creamy band circling the body. I guess it could reflect a golden tint if directly in the sun. :? :?

According to the article, the photo was taken in a remote area. Are you sure you didn't see a Marmot :?: :?: Their fur is long, golden/brown in the sun and they're fairly good size. 8)

If it was a Wolverine, you are very lucky. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Too bad you couldn't get a photo, too. 8)

davkrat
03-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Darian they do have darker markings on most of there body but the "ring" along their sides and back is golden and then their head and cape are deffinately golden. I have seen some pictures that look like the entire animal is golden like a grizzly bear. What I saw was no marmot. It had that short stocky face and ears that out of the corner of my eye made it look like a seal sitting on the side of the road. The kind of thing that makes your brain say what the hell is that. Here are a couple of links to images of wolverines. I would not be surprised if they tend to get a darker colored coat in winter like the one caught on the camera.

[/url]http://www.photographersdirect.com/buyers/stockphoto.asp?imageid=930459

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img1.photographersdirect.com/img/8077/pd930459_s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.photographersdirect.com/stockimages/w/wolverine.asp&h=90&w=125&sz=41&hl=en&start=61&um=1&tbnid=1fKfEAiTL1dsJM:&tbnh=65&tbnw=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwolverine%2Bgulo%26start%3D54%26ndsp% 3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADBF%26sa%3DN

Darian
03-08-2008, 11:21 AM
They certainly are beautiful animals. I hope to see one in the wild someday. :D :D :D

Oskar
03-25-2008, 10:36 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/25/BAHKVPL1V.DTL

lee s.
03-27-2008, 03:08 PM
The weather is ALWAYS an inconvenience for somebody....too hot/too cold, too dry/too wet, too windy/too muggy, too....... :roll: :cry: :wink:
However, there are still quite a few pods of steelhead around here locally that could SURE use a decent spot of water to finish their jobs this season.....and my vote has always been with the fish. :roll:
.....lee s.

bigtj
03-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Well in the 3 weeks since my last post we haven't really gotten squat for snowfall. Unless some kind of miracle happens, looks like another year below normal. Thankfully, only a little below normal this time.

We have about 2-3 weeks before the opportunities for a big storm go away. I sure hope we get at least one more good one to end the year on a decent note.