PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Assortment

bajafly
01-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Endless Season Update 01/17/2008
REPORT #1097 "Below the Border" Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996

East Cape
http://www.bajafly.com/report/pargo.01.17.gif
Still more wind than people at East Cape this week. With just an occasional boat venturing out, it is difficult to find the offshore action. It’s a big ocean! On the calm days, the best bet is inshore or the beach. Odds are pretty good that you will catch something. There should be enough sierra, mixed in with other species, to distract you while you worry about the wind showing up. The other species can include small cabrilla, black skipjack, white bonito, ladyfish and possibly a pargo or two near the rocky points.
Travel Tip: If you are planning a fly fishing trip be sure to pack a set of different colored sharpies and some flies tied in all white. Then when you stumble on the “perfect” colored fly you can color the white ones with your sharpie.
Last week Yvonne and I attended the ISE show in San Mateo and I had the honor of being inducted into the California Outdoor Hall of Fame. More (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/01/13/SP2VUC5JA.DTL&type=printable)
Water temperature 67-73
Air temperature 47-70
Humidity 88 %
Wind: SE 2 to 3 knots
Conditions: Sunny
Visibility 2 miles
Sunrise 7:03 a.m. MST
Sunset 5:54 p.m. MST

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico

The whale watching season is slowly kicking into gear and should be in full force by early February. Estero action for the week was spotty…sierra, and corvina along with a few small grouper and plenty of the spotted bay bass.

Enrique Soto reported the action at the Entrada had also slowed down this week with only a few small yellows to be found.

Water temperature 66 - 73
Air temperature 47 -74
Humidity 100%
Wind: NNW 6 to 8 knots
Conditions: Sunny
Visibility 3 miles
Sunrise 7:13 a.m. MST
Sunset 5:59 p.m. MST

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico

The sailfish are here in huge numbers. Plus, there are lots of dorado being taken each day, with almost every boat getting at least 1 or 2 of these tasty fish. The dorado are averaging between 20 and 35 pounds.

But, the sailfish are gorging on a large bio-mass of a very small anchovy-like bait, and are hard to entice with the larger trolled baits. Paul Phillips told me there must have seen 200 sailfish on the surface today (Wednesday), but only had a couple of the fish interested in the teaser baits for our fly fishing client Greg Bronstein of Seattle.

A few boats are finding hungry fish however, and Adan on the Gitana II released 5 sails and got 2 nice dorado for his Danish clients today. They were fishing light conventional gear and spin rods, with 50 pound braided line.
Ed Kunze
Water temperature 80 - 84
Air temperature 47-89
Humidity 80%
Wind: Calm
Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility 8 miles
Sunrise 7:20 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:32 p.m. CST

Bahia Asunción

The yellowtail action near San Pablo area has slowed and the fleet (three boats) has spread out looking for the next hot spot. Water temps barely cracking 62….brrrrr. Calico action seems to be taking up some of the slack until yellows are located.
Water temperature 62 - 70
Air temperature 47-61
Humidity 76%
Wind: WNW 5 to 10 kts
Conditions: Mostly sunny
Visibility 6 miles
Sunrise 7:29 a.m. MST
Sunset 6:04 p.m. MST

David Lee
01-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Congratulations , Gary !!!!!!!!!!

David =D>

bajafly
01-18-2008, 05:42 AM
Thanks you so much.It was a complete surprise to me. I didn't even know that Shirley Miller (Tom Miller's widow) and Zack Thomas had nominated me.