PDA

View Full Version : NFF event

Jay Murakoshi
01-16-2008, 12:26 PM
I've been looking at the new HD tv's but need to know the difference between the Plasma and the LCD's. I'm leaning towards a Sony Bravia or a Panasonic. The Sony picture is a lot clearer and cleaner looking.
I haven't had a new TV since B&W. I think the one I have now was made from a Heath Kit :D

Thanks

Jay

Mike McKenzie
01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey Jay,

Take a look here for some good info...

http://www.retrevo.com/s/TV?rt=bg

Mike

OceanSunfish
01-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Hey Jay,

Feel free to PM me and ask as many questions as you like because I did a lot of research the past 6 months on everything from HD 1080p LCD TVs to AVRs to BluRay Players. I also understand the intracacies of connecting these devices for the best audio your 'theatre' system is capable of providing.

You can also check out AVS Forum, but I warn you that your head will spin after reading so many so called audiophiles' comments.

Like fly anglers who profess certain makes and models, I'll put my .02 into the pot:

Sony XBR 1080p 46" or 52" with a Panasonic BD50 BluRay that was recently introduced at the CES in Vegas. The BD50 is capable of decoding the latest audio formats up to Master. If you can find a close out on the Panasonic BD10AK for $399, get it! It will decode Dolby HD in digital or HDMI and up to True HD using 6-way Analog.

Any AVR in the $159 range that does 5:1 will do, that is if you're happy with 5 channels and a Sub. If you want 7 channels then you can spend the world on an AVR.

You cannot go wrong with the W or the V series Bravia either. Spend the $$$ on the screen tho. The Audio "home theatre" doesn't have to be expensive. Note: stay away from the "home theatre in a box". You can do a lot better buying separates on sale at Frys or using their online services.

We can discuss via PM.

Bottom line, once you start watching stuff in 1080i (Broadcasted HDTV) or 1080p in BluRay, you can't watch regular non HD stuff. "Planet Earth" in BluRay 1080p is a 3D experience. The scene where the tuna are balling up sardines is very cool. "Cars" is outrageous in BluRay with at least 5:1 sound system. Then there's the individual blades of grass sitting behind Tiger's golf ball as he contemplates his next shot. :lol:

Once you have HDTV, you may find yourself watching TV late at night vs. tying flies. :D

OSF