PDA

View Full Version : Stillwater question...

Reno Flytyer
01-15-2008, 09:51 PM
If you're visiting an unfamiliar water and had only one fly to use for stillwater fishing, what would you use? TIA
RFT

andanb
01-15-2008, 10:00 PM
If I was visiting unfamiliar waters I would take 1)wooly buggers some black some olive and a sink tip or full sink line depending on time of year sink tip after the lake turns over or during the winter full sink in the warmer times of year. 2) a candy cane (red and silver) chironomid and some micro may flies or phesant tail nymphs in various sizes.

I'd start with these on unfamiliar waters and work from there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-16-2008, 12:28 AM
I guess a black leech.

Second might be a #16 callibaetis cripple.

Third, a small damsel nymph.

Fourth, a big caddis dry.

jbird
01-16-2008, 09:56 AM
only one fly to use for stillwater fishing

#8 Black bugger

Terry Thomas
01-16-2008, 03:24 PM
1st. Jay Fair's wiggle tail in olive or rust.
2nd. Rickard's stillwater nymph...same color patterns and Jay's.
There are few people that I know of that have spent as much time on the water as those two anglers.
T.

Ed Wahl
01-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Outside the box a little. You said"unfamiliar stillwater", never said where. I would go with a Dahlberg Diver or one of Hairstackers red and white Tap's Bugs. :D Ed

Reno Flytyer
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I thought someone might suggest a #18 bead head wooley booger :wink: I appreciate the responses...I've just about filled all my fly boxes for this year, including two new ones & have just a little room left over. I thought might get an idea or two of something else to throw in
for those days when none of my "go to" bugs fail me.

If it were one fly I'd use, it would depend on the time of day I anticipated my first cast. More times than not, the slight variation I tie of the Sheep
Creek Special is what I'd tie on.

RFT

Scott V
01-17-2008, 12:39 PM
For trout waters a black and red sparkle wooley bugger, about a size 12. For bass waters a chartruese and white clouser.

markem8
01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
I always use a two-fly rig when stillwater fishing. Usually a small black or olive leech or bugger (black when the water is colder and olive in warmer water) trialed by a prince, pt or soft hackle.

Often the fish are attracted to the larger fly and then they take the nymph. If I have to go with a one fly rig I would go with the leech, unless the water was really clear and the fish were spooky then I would go with a small pt on a long, light leader.

Hairstacker
01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
I always use a two-fly rig when stillwater fishing. Usually a small black or olive leech or bugger (black when the water is colder and olive in warmer water) trialed by a prince, pt or soft hackle.

I've never tried that in stillwater but it sounds like a great approach. May I ask what size flies you are using for the lead and trailing flies? I assume you're using a very slow retrieve? Any other tips you might have would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

markem8
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I will usually use a size 6-10 leech or bugger and size 14-18 nymph. Generally, the clearer the water the smaller the flies. I sometimes will use 3 flies (often at Heenan) to get a range of sizes. Gotta watch the tangles when using three flies, wind or poor casts can cause problems.

Hairstacker
01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks, appreciate the tips! Will have to give that approach a try next time I head out. :D

markem8
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention that I do best either stripping the flies at a slow or medium pace. If I am trooling, I will give the line a twitch every so often. Often the fish are following the flies and will take the fly on the pause after the twitch.

Hairstacker
01-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for adding the comment. I figured a slower retrieve, especially with a nymph as a trailer. I think I'm guilty of often retrieving too quickly in order to keep from getting gunked up in the weeds.

BigBill
01-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Size 6-10 Gold Bead Olive Woolly Bugger, no doubt about it. This is my GO TO fly when fishing stillwater. I'll usually trail it with a size 12-16 prince or damsel nymph. DEADLY!

Mike Churchill
01-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Size 8 black bugger. Potential for catching anything from a bluegill on up.

Adam Grace
01-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Yes, woolly buggers are deadly anywhere.

I actually tied up some #1/0 white and brown jumbo woolly buggers for baby tarpon and snook a few years back when I fished in Mexico. The woolly buggers sunk slowly and did very well back in the mangoves. I have said for years that you could catch anything on a woolly bugger so I had to try them down in the salt.