PDA

View Full Version : Any Information on Gualala or Eel?

Kelly Maher
01-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Although the Russian will be off color for another 5-10 days, has anybody fished or seen the water conditions of the Gualala or Eel since the last rain events?
Any information would be much appreciated and tight lines!

Rick J
01-16-2008, 08:08 AM
gauging stations are showing the Eel dropping but not very fast - I expect the Eel will be marginal for flies by the weekend

mircetich
01-16-2008, 09:35 AM
The Eel is still blown, maybe this weekend but it will be a gamble. May think about the Van Duzen or SF Eel.

SFMike
01-16-2008, 10:47 PM
What flows do you look for after a rain before you'd head up to the Eel? I've been checking the flows online, but I'm not sure at what levels the river becomes fishable again. Also, does the SF usually clear before the mainstem? I probably had the wrong idea in my head, but I thought the SF was the fork that blew out and muddied up the mainstem. Thanks a lot for any info.

mike

Rick J
01-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Miranda is running at around 9 feet right now which is at least a foot higher than I like for flies but ok for conventional gear - it is likely fishable if you are desperate and I am getting there so may head up. There are several creeks that pump in mud but high up on the river you could find water with enough visibility to feel like you were not just conducting some casting practice. That's when a 6" rabbit leech on a 2-hander comes in handy :)