PDA

View Full Version : Ol' Bottom Lip

matt johnson
01-14-2008, 06:45 PM
My friend and co-worker Jerermy (notch on this board) recently landed this fairly outrageous Rainbow on the Lower Sac. . In addition to being rather large, it had a distinctive protruding lower jaw. Nice work Notch. Cheers, Matt.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee281/ozziebooboo/olbottomlip.jpg

SteelieD
01-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Geeez! :shock: Nice fish.

Bernard
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
A huge thank you for posting this. Did you take the photo? The fish is stellar but the image is also just right. I am floored by the beauty of that fish.
B.

ryeflyguy
01-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Love that kype! Nice job!

Paul B.
01-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-14-2008, 10:28 PM
That is just a "stud" of a trout..............the "big dog".

Not a Steelhead?

alaskanfish
01-14-2008, 11:30 PM
That is an awesome fish!!! That would be very nice even by Alaska standards. Congrats.

SteelieD
01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Not a Steelhead?

I was thinking that too Bill... but I don't know the system that well.

Adam Grace
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Wow, that's one hell of a rainbow trout. Both Matt and Jeremy know their fish, they are both fisheries biologists...if I remember correctly.

SteelieD
01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow! One heck of a 'bow!

alaskanfish
01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
hmmm.... steelhead? Good question. The difference between rainbow trout and steelhead is a bit challenging sometimes. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologists offer these guidelines: The mouth rarely extends past the eye on the adult rainbow and the steelhead has a white mouth with white gums at the base of the teeth on the lower jaw.

In this photo, the mouth definitely extends beyond the eye. But the mouth is difficult to determine. It appears white with the inside of the lower jaw being white at the base of the teeth.

Honestly, who really cares... it is great catch. =D>

jlmelend
01-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow, what a fish...no matter what you call it! :shock:

jbird
01-15-2008, 07:35 PM
That fish is a textbook rainbowhead..er, uh...steelbow :D Love the red fins! Great catch!

Jay

matt johnson
01-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi all,

Glad to see the board is enjoying this fish. It was a good one!

Bernard,

Yes, I took that shot. I appreciate your admiration of the photo! I have a whole stack of fishing pictures that really suck. I felt that I had finally got a "good one" with that shot.

Steelhead or Rainbow? Good question!! The fish was taken well up in "town" (Redding). That is well above the tributaries that are KNOWN to still carry a few native Central Valley steelhead. That being said there are a couple little creeks up around Redding (Middle, Stillwater, etc.) that certainly could harbor anadromous forms of O. mykiss, not to mention the mainstem Sacramento itself...... then we could get into the straying of steelhead from tributaries lower in the system such as Cow, Cottonwood, and Battle Creeks..... A resident/anadromous conundrum indeed! The only way to know for certain would be to whack the fish and extract its otoliths. The fish was released unharmed of course... We just "felt" that that fish was a big old resident Rainbow that made a fatal error. How Scientific is that?! Matt.

Adam Grace
01-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Well, I don't care what you call it as long as you call it a NICE fish! :D

BTW, that is a great picture Matt :thumbsup:

Hairstacker
01-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Man, what a beautiful fish!