PDA

View Full Version : mounting the electric with the outboard?

Mike Churchill
01-13-2008, 06:55 PM
OK, I drove down to Fresno and picked up my refurbed Gregor yesterday, then mounted the outboard for the first time today.

Unfortunately, with the outboard centered, there isn't quite enough room to mount the electric on the transom without the prop on the electric wacking the lower unit of the outboard if I turn it fully right.

I have seen the mounts for kicker motors that bolt through the transom and can be raised and lowered, but that would really be overkill on a 12 foot boat.

The electric is a well-used 34 pound Minn Kota. I might be able to mount it on the side near the bow with a piece of wood squeezed between the clamp and the outside of the hull and reverse the head on the motor, but that won't work very well when I go fish with my 8-year old.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Having it on the front is best, especilly if it's windy.

fishngy
01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
What if you raise the main motor while using the electric? You might be able to put a block of wood between the shaft and clamps, so the outboard is not fully raised but out of the way. I have done that on a previous boat I owned. Or have the 8 year old drive while you fish! Bill