PDA

View Full Version : Any good fly fishing around San Antonio Texas

Digger0038
01-13-2008, 02:39 PM
I may have to move from California to San Antonio Texas for work. From the looks of the map the fishing in no where near as good in Texas. Do any of you have any experience fishing in and around the San Antonio area? What would you fish for there?

roostersgt
01-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Having lived in Texas on the gulf (Port Lavaca), I can tell you there is a lot of good fishing, crabbing and shrimping. Unfortunately, it all takes place on the gulf. Red fish, flounder, croaker, sea trout and sharks aplenty. Well worth the couple hours drive from San Antonio. I hear there is bass fishing in the lakes, if that's what interests you. I prefer the gulf, hands down. Good luck.

Steve

Jasonh
01-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I lived in Austin, TX for six years have have to say that there is some great fishing within three hours of San Antonio. Fairly close by you have the Guadalupe river which fishes well for trout, smallmouth bass and the ocassional large striper. The San Marcos river about 30 min away fishes well for large and smallmouth bass and a variety of panfish.

For saltwater fishing you can drive about 3 hours and be fishing the flats around Aransas pass for redfish and speckled trout. A good area to check out is the lighthouse lakes area. A little further out towards corpus you can fish the jetties for a wide variety of fish from reds, jacks, and spanish mackerel.

A few links to check out:
www.trimbleflyfishing.com
www.faroutfishingtrips.com

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

Paul B.
01-14-2008, 07:54 AM
I'll second Jason's Guadalupe suggestion. It's a beautiful stream with lots of aggressive bass. I never caught trout there but I heard they have them. If you get a chance to fish for redfish or speckeled trout do it. You'll be in for a great time. I am sure there are a lot of options for you. Paul

Digger0038
01-14-2008, 09:47 AM
You guys are great. I really appreciate your suggestions. I have been in California for over 18 years and love to fish here. Now that I know there are some areas to fish in Texas I think it will make moving a little easier.

Paul B.
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Don't forget to post some pictures Digger!!!