PDA

View Full Version : Recomended length for Sage Z-Axis?

Riverleft
01-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Greetings. This is my first post, although I've visited this board a number of times. What a great resource!

I'm looking for recommendations on the best length for the Sage Z-Axis in both the 4wt and 5wt. I’ve been considering the purchase of these rods as my every day, all around, “go to” trout rods for dry fly fishing, indicator nymphing, wet fly, and small streamers, in the usual 9’ length. However, I’ve come across different sources on the internet and in person, reporting that these rods while great in the 9' configuration, are better in the 9.5’ and even 10’. However none of these sources stated specifically why. I understand the advantages extra length may offer to line mending, reach, and roll casting...but those advantages would apply to almost any rod. I wonder why some prefer the extra length specifically for the Z-Axis? Taking a wild guess, does 9.5' model offer a bit more feedback (in terms of line loading) than the 9' model?

Would I be happier with a 9 footer as my "all around" trout rod, or should I go for the longer models?

Also which lines are a better match for the Z-Axis: the heavier Rio Grand/SA GPX or the standard rated Rio Selective Trout/SA Trout?

Thanks much for any advice,

Riverleft

Darian
01-11-2008, 03:37 PM
First, welcome to Kiene's BB community.... :D :D Second, I know this isn't what you asked but, since you sound like someone who already is familiar with casting/fishing, it's my feeling that you will only be able to satisfy your curiosity by test casting a variety of longer rods than 9'. If possible, test fish them as well.... :) :) If you're in proximity of a good fly shop (like Kiene's) or have a friend who has some of these rods/lines, I'd go over there and ask to cast a few rods with those lines.

Have fun in the search.... :D :D :D

andanb
01-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I agree with Darian about test casting. I also believe that you should try other rods to see which you prefer to cast.

All of this presuposes that you know the type(s) of fishing you like to do. Some guys only nymph which is fine and a certain type of rod and length would be best for that...some guys like to high stick (also nymphing) and a different type and length of rod might be prefered for that. Some guys like to cast only to rising fish for that gentle sip which brings a fly fishing ecstasy that is beyond compare, which might be better served by an entirely different rod.

I'm not a fan of super fast rods...unless its windy. In small streams I've used a 9' rod only to wish I had a 7'6" rod or maybe even smaller.

All this is to say that's a tough question!...good luck

Sorry about the spelling.

Scott V
01-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Also Kiene's has that Sage casting computer thingy that can help pick the right rod for your casting ability. It is a computer in a rod device I believe. Give them a call they can tell you all about it.

Hairstacker
01-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Welcome aboard! This is a very personal-preference-type of question, but since you clearly stated you are looking for an all-around rod, I would go for a 9-footer myself if it's to be "The One" rod.

As an aside, I believe the 9' 5wt. is the most popular of all configurations sold for trout fishing in America today. Perhaps Bill can correct me if I'm wrong.

TaylerW
01-11-2008, 07:39 PM
though its not exactly the same, i recently go the 10ft 7wt z-axis, and from my experience, i would reccomend the 10 footer.

dtp916
01-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Do the nine on both. Or if you want a lighter 4wt get an 8.5' 8)

dtp916
01-12-2008, 12:26 PM
You might want to consider the ZXL in a 9' 4wt 8)

Riverleft
01-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I think I'm settled on limiting the scope of my search to the standard 9' lengths. I certainly practice the "try before you buy"...and I'll also give the ZXL a try (that's one that I haven't considered before). So many choices, so little time...oh and then there's the Z-Axis 12'6" 5wt spey rod...ahh but that's for a separate post.

Thanks again everyone,
Riverleft

DELETED
01-13-2008, 01:13 AM
DELETED