PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis info

Scott V
01-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I took this information straight off of the DFG website:

Fall restocking of Eagle Lake trout into Lake Davis was completed December 13 2007. Eight trucks from the American River Hatchery delivered 24,000 pounds of Eagle Lake trout – a total of about 31,200 fish. We consulted with and received the concurrence of the Lake Davis Steering Committee and the Department of Public Health prior to restocking. Additional plants will be made in the spring.

The California Department of Water Resources will be opening valves at Grizzly Valley Dam to prevent any freezing damage to the pipes in the pike containment structure downstream of the dam. All the releases will be run through the strainers as another fish monitoring measure. The releases, about ½ [one half] cubic feet per second (normal summertime releases are about ten cubic feet per second), are scheduled to begin sometime after Christmas. This will create additional flow in Big Grizzly Creek. These releases are in compliance with the terms of our National Pollution Discharge Elimination Permit (NPDES) from the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board.

The only chemicals potentially remaining in the Lake Davis water from the rotenone treatment are very low levels of polyethylene glycols (PEG’s) from the ingredient called Fennodefo 99. These compounds are safe for both fish and humans (many are used in food products such as chewing gum and vitamins) at much higher levels than are currently in the water. These materials don’t build up in fish tissue. There were very low levels in Lake Davis on December 4th and levels have been declining steadily Information and updates on monitoring results are posted on the Department of Health Services’ website at: www.cdph.ca.gov/healthinfo/environhealth/water/Pages/LakeDavis.aspx as they become available.

Tracy Chimenti
01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks Scott... God speed and god's prayer... lets hope for the best.

Double_Haul
01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
I was talking with a gal from Fish and Game at the ISE that was very informed on the Lake Davis situation. The lake was completely full of Pike when they poisoned it and virtually no trout were left, they had all been eaten. They had a picture of a pike that looked around 30 to 40 lbs. I asked about the bugs if they would survive and she said the pike are susceptible to lower levels of rotenone and that the lake still has some species such as brown bullheads? that survived, and the bugs should do well also. They are still doing shock studies to make sure pike do not show up. The interesting thing she had mentioned to someone else was they never found any fish over 7 years old, possibly implying that the pike were reintroduced after the first poisoning. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks guys....wild stuff.

That is one hell of a good lake.