PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan my trip to montana!!!!

TaylerW
01-07-2008, 08:52 PM
my best friend trent and i are going to montana in july for around 2 to 3 weeks. we are staying at his granmothers house which is on a small cattle ranch about 15 miles out of billings. we want to fish a couple lakes, some night fishing for big browns, but most of all small creeks. we will be obligated to wake at around 3:00a.m. every day as we have to feed the cattle, horses and do general field work, and then have time to go fishing.
what would you do?
where would you go?
what would you use?

tight lines,
Tayler

Bill Quinn
01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
The Big Horn River is close by so don't pass up the chance to fish it. It is only a few miles away and it's a great tail water fishery.

I'm sure the locals can give you a bunch of names of places to fish once you get there. Have a great trip when you go. Montana is a magical place for fishing in the summer.

bp
01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
LS

second the motion on the Big Horn. Well worth the trip and it is wadeable. Even better with a boat or personal pontoon. Check with the the shops in Fort Smith for access locations and best places to wade. If I remember correctly the section called the drive in (bunch of cars for erosion control) was a very fishy place that could keep you busy for awhile without a bunch of movement. NOTE: YOU MUST BRING YOUR OWN 'BEVERAGES' ON YOUR TRIP TO THE BIG HORN. THE REZ IS DRY!! :-)

RE: billings, I got some good help from the folks at River Run fly shop. Would ask them and others in town for hints on smaller streams. Obviously the main YStone is legendary but tricky. gonna need some advice on that one and might have to hear up river towards Livingston.

I have driven over the Clark Fork of the Yellowstone several times and thought it would be an interesting adventure. You might check that out as well.

Finally, if you can get all the way to the Cody area the Shoshone is worth a look - North Fork Anglers.

Enjoy.

TaylerW
01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
thanks for that, and i dont drink so that wont be a problem. beer is to expensive, i would rather buy fishing stuff!!!