PDA

View Full Version : Minor, Elk, Sutter Slough excursion

Rodney D.
01-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Hey Mike, Scott V. and Ed a.k.a. Jack Sparrow;
Just a follow-up to Mike's request of checking out these sloughs and places to launch the Black Pearl. I was thinking of doing a little scouting of the area and checking out some possible launch points for us and maybe show you guys a few other spots I know of. Since the weather is been rotten and I don't want to get too fired up too early, I was thinking of sometime Mid/late Feb. I could grab the wife's mini-van. What do you guys think? Scott V. did you have any 7'11'' presents under the tree?

Scott V
01-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Not under the tree, but in my hands as of last Friday. Now I am trying to decide on which reel to get. I am thinking of getting the new Redington Red.Fly 2 in copper. I plan on getting an Abel Super 7 with peacock bass finish on it, but that will not be for along time. I have to save for a good 6 months to afford one of those.

As for checking out places to go fish, just let me know when and where, I am good to go. I plan on getting out this Saturday just not sure where to go and what to fish for. The weather is suppose to be good.

Rodney D.
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey Scott,
Excellent! I will have one in my hot little hands by Feb. before the topwater gets really good. Did you get the Largemouth or Smallmouth? We'll set up a Delta excursion in Feb.

Scott V
01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Largemouth, and it is sweet. I can not wait ti start throwing it in the park, then it will be off to the delta with pin point accuracy.

Hairstacker
01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Scott, congratulations on the new rod!

Mike Churchill
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Rodney,

A February scouting trip sounds good. If there's any chance of encountering mud or getting off the beaten track, we can take my big SUV.

I just got the good news that Gregor has finished rebuilding the transom on my boat. The bad news is that it's in Fresno and I can't pick it up on a weekend. I might have to get my dad to drive up from San Diego to pick it up later this month.

Mike

Rodney D.
01-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Mike, sounds great. We should be able to stay on paved roads...unless some farmer that remembers me from my youth and chases us off the main roads. Besides our van has "boldly gone where no man has gone before" so it should be fine. Since you are in the pocket area we could probably meet up in Freeport. We will have to set up a time and date.

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Oh man! I just tried one of those 7'11" rods at Kiene's the other day, and I'm almost in love 8) ... I can't WAIT for top-water LMB season.... :D

This sounds like a fun trip, are girls allowed :?:

Scott, maybe we'll see you out on Saturday. Paul's trying out a new prop on the boat, but if the weather is good, I'm sure we'll be out.

Scott V
01-08-2008, 04:17 PM
No delta for me Robin til Spring time. I can not cover enough water on my pontoon during this slow time of the year. But I will be at Disneyland on Monday. I thouht you might like to know that.

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh I'm so jealous! I wanna see pics! 8)

Rodney D.
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey Mrs. Finsallaround,
I'll keep you in the loop. Doesn't casting those rods just want to make you go out and spend money?

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Oh Totally! I have a birthday coming up, so I'll have to hint real loud to hubby... LOL. Although, he was there while I was trying it out, so he pretty much knows. I just wish I could've tried it with my frog fly that I always use for top-water... March can't get here fast enough!

Hairstacker
01-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Robin, which of the two rods did you cast and like? Or did you like them both? :lol:

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I cast the Largemouth rod. They didn't have the smallmouth strung up on Saturday... :(

Mike Churchill
01-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Rodney, sounds like we may need to take my Sequioa instead of your van just because it has 8 seats. :)

Freeport would be a very good place to meet.

Good news for me: my dad drove up to Fresno today and picked up my refurbed boat from the Gregor factory and took it to my grandfather's place.

Road trip on Saturday to go pick it up and Sunday morning in the garage to mount the outboard. :D

Too bad I'm going to spend Sunday afternoon in the office instead of trying out the gas motor on a local lake.... :(

Hey Scott, want to help me break it in a week or two from now? We should be able to cover significantly more water in the delta than you can in the pontoon.

Mike

Scott V
01-09-2008, 08:20 AM
You let me know when you are ready Mike, I am always up for breaking in a new or used boat. Thanks for the invite. Heck I'll even pay for the gas, I guess that would work out to about what 2 or 3 gallons. :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Mike

what size is that boat?

what size outboard?

Rodney D.
01-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Mike, sounds good. It looks like we may need the 8 seats. If things keep going the way they are, we may have to charter a bus! I guess I'm going to have to add in a couple of "private ponds" that I have access to so we can set up a real fishing expedition. One of these ponds is on a vinyard with a wine tasting room...this could get real interesting! Oh yea, my fees for the tour....one 7'11'' Sage! :) Good luck with the boat...most of the places we will check out will be perfect for a small boat, pram, kayak or float tube.

Scott V
01-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't think the sage I am growing gets 7'11" long, but I will have the wife check the garden. I had no idea you like mint. :lol:

Rodney D.
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Too clever! :lol: I think with your knowledge, experience, and wisdom, you are the sage!

Mike Churchill
01-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Bill,

It's a 12'3'' 1972 Gregor in really good shape. My dad picked the boat and galvanized trailer up in San Diego for about a grand. (Trailer is worth as much or more than the boat.) The outboard is a 2005 8-horse Merc 4-stroke (in almost new condition and under warranty until 2012 :shock:) that he got for about $1200. (He was hoping to find a 9.9 cheap, but the 8 was too good a deal to pass up.)

The only problem with the boat was that the transom braces were cracked. We found out from Gregor that they changed their design a couple of years ago to strengthen the transom to handle the additional torque of four-stroke outboards, so we sent it down to them for their $400 retrofit.

I had it out several times under electric power before sending it down to Fresno and it is a sweet little boat: stable enough for two guys to stand and cast at the same time. :evil:

I'm prepared for the likelihood that it won't get up on plane with two guys aboard with the 8-horse. It'll still be faster than the electric.

Dad is now a confirmed Craigslist junkie who is trying to figure out how to convince my mother he can afford to buy a bigger boat. :D

Scott,

I expect that the 3-gallon tank will allow a lot of cruising before it runs out. I'll probably spend more on gas towing the damn boat to the delta from Sacramento with my SUV than we will fishing.

Rodney,

Combining a private pond and wine-tasting is going to be a tough act to follow. :twisted:

Mike

Rodney D.
01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey Mike,
My dad has a similar Gregor. I think his is 13.5 ft. He has a Honda 9.9 and on a good day with the current, he can get up on place without a passenger. It is a great boat. I have had it all over the Delta and it is a champ! We built a deck on the front with a casting seat and put in a floor and it's still really stable. Great boat to troll with as well.

Mike Churchill
02-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Well,

We spent all that time in January talking about a group exploration of Elk and Minor Sloughs in February.

So, now it's February, we should start planning. :D

We should probably start by finding out our "guide's" availability.

I'm currently open for any day on either of the next two weekends.

Mike

Mrs.Finsallaround
02-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm available on the next 2 Sundays...

Scott V
02-04-2008, 08:18 AM
The 17th is good for me.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-04-2008, 10:19 AM
In years past I had a good report of a lot of smaller "Schoolie" size Stripers up in Snodgrass Slough feeding on top in March once?

Rodney D.
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Mrs. Fins, Scott, Mike, etc.
With the sun out, my thoughts start turning to fish! We need to set up a date for the "tour". I just got the combination for the lock at the "private pond" I want to show y'all so we just need to figure out a date. The family and I are leaving for Disneyland (Sorry Mrs. Fins, I heard you are a Disney Fan) on the 18th for the week. I could go Sunday the 10th, and then not until Sunday March 2nd or 9th. Remember this is a scouting exibition to see where we want to go (y'all will LOVE the pond!). The fishing usually doesn't start picking up in the Delta until late March or even April depending on the weather. This year we will probably have a ton of run-off which will slow the bite a little. By the way...I finally broke down and got the 7'11 Sage...I slept with it the first two nights I had it. :) Let's set a date gang.

Mrs.Finsallaround
02-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I LOVE TIGGER! :D

I am available on any of those Sundays you listed Rodney... Let's see what the rest of the gang says.

Scott V
02-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I can't make the 10th, but if everyone else can, go ahead without me. Just take some picks of where I will launch my pontoon

On a side note I was at Disneyland on the 14th and had a blast, enjoy the weather.

Rodney D.
02-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Let's narrow it down to March 2 or 9th. That way it closer to actual fish time. We could meet either at the shop (Kiene's) or at the Golf course in Freeport. Whatever date works for the group. I can haul 5 people in the van. Let me know what works...hopefully it doesn't rain in Disneyland!

Scott V
02-04-2008, 01:57 PM
If it rains at Disneyland get a Mickey poncho and watch the rest of the tourist leave. I lived down south for 27 years, minutes from Disneyland, and some of the funniest days were when it rained.

March 2nd is best for me.

Rodney D.
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Let's just plan it for March 2nd and see what happens. How about 10:00 a.m. at the Golf course (Cavenaugh ?) parking lot... Yea, Scott, the Mickey Poncho will probably cost more than my Sage 7'11"!

Scott V
02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
10:00 is great, I might be able to get in 18 holes before we go.

And the ponchos are dirt cheap.

I knew you would get the Sage rod, which line did you opt for?

Rodney D.
02-04-2008, 02:56 PM
I got the 330 grain largemouth. I liked them both but I went to the ISE show and the Sage rep. talked me into the largemouth. It really doesn't feel like a rod designed to throw that heavy a line...I can't wait for 80 degree weather and top water action. Now all we need is vienna sausages, pork rinds, RC cola, cheese wiz and Ritz crackers and we are ready for some serious bass fishing! March 2 it is.

Mike Churchill
02-05-2008, 02:03 PM
March 2 looks good for me.

If we have more than 5, my Toyoto Sequoia seats 8.

Rodney, I'm assuming this is a "leave the rods at home but bring maps and a notebook" trip. Correct me if I'm wrong so I'm not the only one standing around watching everyone else cast.

Mike

Scott V
02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I go nowhere without my rod, plus Rodney has offered to take us to a pond, and if I can't fish it, someone is going swimming. :lol:

Rodney D.
02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
You can't just look at water without a rod nearby.... there is some "practice area" at the pond, besides, it might be awfully cold to be swimming! See y'all on the 2nd.

Rodney D.
02-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Scott, Mike, Robin, Ed, etc. Just a friendly reminder about this Sunday's Delta excursion. Still interested? We could meet Sunday, 10:00 a.m. at the Golf course in Freeport. We could cruise the Delta and scout out some spots for some future LMB trips. I just want to get a head count to make sure we could fit in the mini-van.

Ed Wahl
02-25-2008, 02:35 PM
You guys go ahead, I've got some other things to do. Ed

Scott V
02-25-2008, 02:38 PM
My office is relocating over the weekend, so I am out for this trip. But someone please mark on a map any good spots for land launching a pontoon. Plus this means I am loosing out on goingto the private pond, and that I am really bummed about.

Mike Churchill
02-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Rodney,

I'm still interested even if no one else is.

In fact, if the others are out of commission I can tow my little Gregor boat and we can finish up by launching somewhere with a ramp. I've got a newly installed fish finder to try out. :D

Or, we can reschedule and hope we can get more folks on a different date; it's up to you.

Mike

Mike Churchill
02-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Further motivation: I have a virgin 8-weight and a box full of clousers and bass bugs that need to be broken in.

I'm puttin' the boat in the water somewhere this weekend. :)

Mike

fishngy
02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Mike, I would like to join you on Sunday. I have a new 12 footer also and new fishfinder I want to play with on the boat. I have to be back to Sac area for work related business in the afternoon at 3 pm. Would this work with your schedule? I also have a new 7wt to checkout! This could be fun! Send me a pm for a phone number. Bill

Mike Churchill
02-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Bill,

I'm waiting on Rodney's reply about whether he's still going to lead a smaller group on Sunday to some of his local access points. That trip was going to start at 10:00, which won't leave time to launch boats later and be back by 3:00.

If Rodney decides to reschedule, I'd be happy to meet you for an early morning blast to the delta.

I will PM you tomorrow night after Rodney chimes in.

To the rest of you: if Rodney votes to reschedule and both Bill (fishngy) and I take our boats, we'll have at least one vacant seat (in mine--I won't volunteer Bill's boat).

Mike

fishngy
02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
That sounds good. I just can't get out of going into work at 3:00 pm. I really don't care if I pull up to the school with my boat, but would like to drop it off at home first. My high school is going through WASC review for the next few days and I don't think the team wants to see the boat! I would have another seat for the trip if in the morning. Bill

Mrs.Finsallaround
02-29-2008, 02:33 PM
It looks like I will be out with Paul on Sunday on our boat too. Sorry Rodney :( . We're getting ready to lead a "fish-out" with our club and need to find out where the LMB are.... 8)

We will most likely lauch out of B&W or H&H...

Rodney D.
02-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey Mike and Fishngy,
Well when the other guys plans fell through I scheduled a trip to Camanche with my Dad...sorry about switching gears before I heard from you guys...Let's reschedule when we can do more fishing...the pond I have access to is really set up to fish out of a boat, kayak or skiff and your boat would be perfect for it. I'll check my calendar and we can set up a time when we can all go. You guys knock em dead. Elk/Minor sloughs don't have alot of launching access for larger boats but you definately want to fish some smaller sloughs this early in spring. Go get em!

David Lee
03-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Mike C -

I'm open tomorrow . Give me a ring this afternoon and we can figure something out .

David :D