PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in the new year ......

David Lee
01-06-2008, 04:37 PM
C'mon , let's hear it !

JT
01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not going to try to fish less, but it's bound to happen. With a new baby there's a lot less time in the day.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
I want to fish more little warm water creeks and ponds like David and Ed.

Andy Guibord and I did canoe a part of the lower Putah Creek between Winters and Davis, CA this past summer.

Matt Frey
01-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Happy New Year David!

I definitely hope I can fish more, but I am always trying to tie better flies.

I have been trying a few new things at the vise lately. Just yesterday I tied my first glo bugs. I know they arent a hard pattern but I had never tried it before so I wanted to try it out. To be honest they arent as easy as I thought they would be .... I must be doing something wrong. I feel like I spent a lot of time trimming.

I also have been tying up a few different types of streamers to test in the new float tube. Hopefully I will get to test them next weekend.

I am looking forward to seeing you do your thing at the ISE in a couple of weeks. Be sure to let us know the times you are tying.

Take it easy
Matt

Matt Frey
01-06-2008, 06:28 PM
OH ... i nearly forgot

Hopefully we will get to fish soon.

Hairstacker
01-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Fish more of course. :lol: Would also like to explore new areas and spend more time on smallies and trout.

Scott V
01-07-2008, 06:45 PM
I am really hoping t do some hike in over nighters. I have never done that before and would really like to do it. I can't even remember the last time I slept in a tent.

jbird
01-07-2008, 09:20 PM
I have been trying a few new things at the vise lately. Just yesterday I tied my first glo bugs. I know they arent a hard pattern but I had never tried it before so I wanted to try it out. To be honest they arent as easy as I thought they would be .... I must be doing something wrong. I feel like I spent a lot of time trimming.

Matt
Try tying em with Mcfly Foam. http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/SM-750168-0000

It makes them a snap!

Jay

SteelieD
01-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Good thread David.

Explore more local options... particularly the winter steelhead rivers! I'm starting with the Sauk on Friday!

Walk/hike further for my fish was a close second!

Darian
01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm planning on catching a Wahoo, Large Rooster, a Sail and, hopefully, a Marlin on the next trip to Baja.... The last two years I've caught a bunch of fish of different species down there and had a chance at a large Marlin. All of which adds up to more knowledge of how/what to do this year. I've tied up some bleeding Sardina patterns (similar to the "Cut-Bait" pattern) for use down there and, With Jay's and the Panguero's advice, I'm gonna put in maximum effort. :D :D :D

WAHOOOOOooooo.....

Matt Frey
01-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey Jay
Thanks for the advice. I have to admit the glo bug seems pretty easy, but a battled it for a couple of flies. At first I couldn't get the egg to look "whole", the thread I used to tie the material on caused it to look like two hemispheres. I solved that by not using so many wraps. But then the egg was moving up and down the hook. So I added a bigger thread base so it wouldnt slide, but it still wanted to move up towards the eye. I then learned that I'd have to use more thread to keep the material from pushing forward. I finally think I figured it out, but I am trimming A LOT. I will definitely check out that material you recommended. It cant be that hard.

Scott,
Its a lot of fun to do a back packing trip. Shoot me a PM and I can recommend you a few spots.

Tight lines
Matt

SteelieD
01-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Matt,
Use a drop of super glue on the thread/hook shank before you tie in the McFoam. That's how I do it. Few wraps of lead doesn't hurt either.

Gregg Machel
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I answered fish more, but that won't be too hard, I think I only went out 2 times last year. Yeah, I know that's bad, but there is no where to go but up now!

Ed Wahl
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Scotty, start picking up backpacking gear now, that way you'll be ready come June. You can find gear advice all over the place, just don't go overboard. If you show up with "trekking poles", or an espresso maker, you will be laughed right out of camp. There's as much BS out there about backpacking necessities as there is about flyfishing. Any cheap pack, some common sense, and the will to do it are really all you need to start out. The rest is gravy. I've got spots, oh yeah, I've got spots. Ed

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-09-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm participating in the Golden Trout Program through GBF, so I've got to learn all the different casts, knot-tying, net-making, and fly-tying. UGH. I have 2 years to complete, but I want to get it all out of the way.

I also want to go steelhead fishing, and it looks like I may be going smallmouth fishing soon too (the Miner, Elk & Sutter slough excursion 8) ).

I want to catch a double digit stripe and LMB, as my largest to date are only 4# and 3# respectively. But, I've only been catchin' fish on a fly rod for 8 months, so I guess that's not too bad. It just took me 10 months to catch the first one (began my fly-fishing journey summer 2006)!

I don't ask for much, do I :?: LMAO. :lol:

David Lee
01-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Who's the goober who is quitting to start golf ?? Those horrible , horrible fishes make you want to give up ?!?

Confess ..... I'll go easy on ya (NOT !!) . Crazy talk ....... :shock:

(Actually ....... if the weather doesn't break soon ....... I'll have to find something to keep busy :? . Perhaps I'll write a children's book :unibrow: ?)

David , tired of winter already [-o< .

mike N
01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
That was me. I don't fish much anymore and I tie even less.

Hey, but it's nice to see what's going on here every once in a while.

MN

Hairstacker
01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Mike, you're quitting and taking up golf?!? If I may ask, what happened?

mike N
01-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm not taking up golf. I was just joking about that part.

Over the past several years my number of fishing outings has reduced from somewhere around 100+ per year to around a small fraction of that. Mostly I only fish if someone really wants me to go with them and I mostly only tie to give people gifts. But, I really don't have much of a desire to get out and fish or to tie for my own pleasure. There is no one reason for the lack of desire, maybe the novelty just wore off.

Look on the bright side, now that I fish so infequently there are fewer educated fish on the A to refuse everyone's flies. :)

MN

Scott V
01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm not taking up golf. I was just joking about that part.

Over the past several years my number of fishing outings has reduced from somewhere around 100+ per year to around a small fraction of that. Mostly I only fish if someone really wants me to go with them and I mostly only tie to give people gifts. But, I really don't have much of a desire to get out and fish or to tie for my own pleasure. There is no one reason for the lack of desire, maybe the novelty just wore off.

Look on the bright side, now that I fish so infequently there are fewer educated fish on the A to refuse everyone's flies. :)

MN

Hey Mike I turn 40 on Monday, can I get a gift of flies. :D And remember that when you golf there are always ponds to fish. I carry a cut down rod in my putter slot all the time. One of the best courses to fish/golf is Teal Bend. At the 16th hole there is a pond full of 4 lb. + largemouth. Ancil Hoffman also has plenty of good sized bass in it.

I'll post a pic tonight of a fatty I caught at Ancil Hoffman.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/003_00A.jpg

Hairstacker
01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
That is sad Mike. Perhaps a change in venue would get the adrenaline flowing again -- ever tried topwater bass bugging on the Delta? :D

mike N
01-10-2008, 05:08 PM
The delta is too far of a drive.

I used to fish those ponds at hoffman when I was a kid. In fact I leaned to fly cast at the now-dry-duck pond near the picnic area. There used to be good BG and LMBs in that pond. You had to keep your backcast really high or you would hang up in the weeds on the levy. Good times.

MN

SteelieD
01-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Scott,

I know that pond! I wanna golf with you!!!

Scott V
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Anytime Steelie, I know of a few others, and by the way that was taken on a frog, almost all of my fish from Ancil were on frogs. Rubber frogs not real ones.

SteelieD
01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Planning on making it down this summer. I'll be packing the sticks... fly and golf!

Garrett S
01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
hey mike N u going to to take me fishing this year?

Scott V
01-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Planning on making it down this summer. I'll be packing the sticks... fly and golf!

Seriously, you let me know when you are going to be down and we will get in some golf and bass.