PDA

View Full Version : A little rain and wind ......

David Lee
01-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I hope everybody came through OK .

My pal across the street had a branch about 8 feet by 10 inches go thru his roof . Since Don is coming up on 81 this year .... I did the climbing /nailing . Power's on most of the time ......

Be safe !!

David :D

Mrs.Finsallaround
01-04-2008, 05:33 PM
We got sent home from work around 11:00 due to power outage, but I had no power at home either until 1:00pm. It is amazing how dependent we are on electricity.... :shock: My son was like, now what do I do mom? :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2008, 06:17 PM
On the news they said we had some gust up to 69 mph in the valley between 9-10am today.

Imagine over 100 mph winds with hurricanes?

Probably set some records for damage too.

1.2 million people without power in CA at one time today.

David Lee
01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Imagine over 100 mph winds with hurricanes?

Uhhhhhh ...... :?

I'll pass on that one , Boss .

David [-X

Charlie S
01-04-2008, 09:08 PM
That's why an automatic propane powered generator large enough to light up everything is such a benefit....no unfrozen steaks here.

Darian
01-04-2008, 09:37 PM
It was really interesting here in mid-town. A tree near the corner of 22nd and E streets fell and cut a house in two.... Lotsa activity down there right now. A lot of streets down here are closed due to downed trees, limbs and debris.... My neighbors gate to her driveway is destroyed but power was only off for a few minutes all day. looks like I'll have a clean-up day tomorrow.... :) :) :) More rain/wind on the way. :? :?

Tony Buzolich
01-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Up here in Yuba City we lost power at 6:30AM and didn't get it back till 8:30PM. 14 hours without a computor or a TV and you start having withdrawl symtoms. :lol: When the winds hit 69-70mph we lost our back fence. Lots of trees down everywhere.
TONY

Ed Wahl
01-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Tony, I was up there all day trying to deliver. On the way up in the morning on the 70 side I saw half a dozen huge green flashes. I think they were transformers blowing. No power in Live Oak or Gridley either. Oddly enough, the Target store was my only account all day that had power. Trees and fences down everywhere. Ed

smokeater
01-05-2008, 05:49 PM
I had some flooding as usual right in front of my house, and unfortunately had my favorite shade tree go down. It was about two and half feet in diameter, and about 60 feet tall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/earhart/DSCF0616.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/earhart/DSCF0620.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-05-2008, 05:54 PM
We saw quite a few trees blown over in Davis, CA and we saw they had very shallow root systems.

Maybe we need to dig deeper holes when we plant new trees?

smokeater
01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
When I looked in the stump hole of my tree that went down I was really surprised at how shallow the roots were and also how much water was in the hole.

I remeber when I was doing tree work several years ago we had lots of calls for downed trees in Gold River. The problem there was that there were lots of trees that were planted there that were not native and with a thin layer of soil on top of about 50 feet of cobble stone there was nowhere for the roots to go except sideways.

lee s.
01-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Juice went off here at around 8AM Fri till late yesterday some time. I do not like to see the destruction nor the inconvenience we cause ourselves by somewhat thoughtless or lack of planning, self included. :wink:
However, like we did Fri. during the storm, we thoroughly do enjoy taking a ride along the Russian River to and along the coast to see Mother Nature displaying some of Her grand fury.
Watching nature cleansing and renewing herself somehow seems right, for some.
....lee s.

Rob
01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
That was a bad one here also , we had winds at 100 mph in a few area's of Utah . :shock: