PDA

View Full Version : How big is your fly?

George Riddle
12-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Just wondering now that a new fly tying season is upon us up North. What size of streamers are you all using?

In Bristol Bay where I spend my summers now I tie mostly articulated streamers that are about 4-8 inches in lenght. On size 2s-4s 2x or larger hooks.

I am new to this forum (sent here by another Alaskan) so wondering what paradigm others are tying from...

Happy New Year to everyone,

George

P.S. Didn't know if this should be on the "Fly Tying" threads? Not that you need to tie to answer this thread.

Rick J
12-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi George - check out the post on the steelhead BB on tandem leeches I posted awhile back - I have used them up to around 6" for winter steelhead - a skgit system is very helpful when trying to lob these flies.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the message board family George.

I went to Bristol Bay Lodge in 1976 and we floated the Togik River for a week. Wonderful aprt of Alaska.

George Riddle
12-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Rick J,
Found the same with my casting. I have just started this year with the two hander but was really struggling lifting a large/heavly weighted fly with the wind cutter. Got the skagit in play and it help as much as it could for the beginner that I am. Still tagged some nice rainbows from the Kvichak.

Bill,
Thanks for the welcome. I have not been to much on that side of Bristol Bay but heard the Togiak is a very nice float.

Happy New Year,

George

FISHEYE
12-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey George, glad you found Kiene's. We'll have to go to the Kenai when we get some light. Phil

George Riddle
12-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Sounds good to me Phil,

George

OregonSalmon
12-30-2007, 09:54 AM
George,
Blueberry Island Lodge name sounds alot more comforting than Jack Holman's No-See-Um Lodge. I always chuckle when see that name since no-see-ums are no friend of anyone. Reminds me of a business in downtown Portland named "Sarcasm Cafe". Oddly enough, the moniker was still there but "Space For Rent" signs littered the window. My buddy had a great idea for a bakery shop: Yeast Confections". Ewww.
Sounds like you have plenty of time to tie as I do. An intriguing streamer I've been tying is the Whitlock Hare Sculpin. Verstile. We'll see how the boys in your neck of the tundra fare with it next season. Have ten dozen laying around here somewhere just aching to torment an Alaskan rainbow.

George Riddle
12-30-2007, 10:42 AM
OregonSalmon,
Have you been to Jack's place? I always thought it was a different name for a lodge. I like it better than what they used to call my place before I got it "Trout-about".

No-See-Um lodge is a first class place and the people there are top notch. I would not hesitate to encourage anyone with the were withal and the desire to fish Bristol Bay to use them. The boys have taken over the place and have been working with Jack for many years. They have one of the best fly out reputations in the business. I have know Jack since I was a kid running boats up and down the Kvichak and he has rescued us teenagers more than once from broke down skiffs. Even when I started my lodge he and his crew would think nothing of helping me out any way they could. Obviously I can't say enough good about his place...

Have you spent much time on the Kvichak?

Will have to research the Whitlock Hare Sculpin and tie up some. My personal goal that I don't spend too much time at is to get a 25"r or better on top with a mouse or skating fly. Happy New Year and thanks for the response and visit about Holman and the Kvichak.

George

OregonSalmon
12-30-2007, 07:54 PM
George,
Over the years my flies have ended up at Jack's lodge. I did not mean to disparge Jack in any way it is just that the name cracks me up since the critters are on the Oregon coast and rip me a new one each summer. Man they are nasty.
The mouse pattern I've been tying for the boys up north is the Moorish mouse. Pretty easy to tie and looks like a dandy skater. We've been experimenting with different hooks but I think it should be tied on a tube. Everything big ought to be tied on a tube. For the skating patterns, less weight, for the lead eyes patterns, a better anchor to the eyes, and in both you can use a smaller hook doing less damage to our waterborn friends. For some reason people just won't bite on the idea. The techinique makes more sense than I ever will.
Keep that winter coat on....-Galen-

George Riddle
12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Galen,
SOOO, you one of THOSE? Two hander with a tube syndrome! :D

As far as the comment on Jack's place, I took it how you ment it. I just really like those guys. The lodge that is not the flying critters. Seems here that they just like deet or what every you happen to put on to keep them off. While moose hunting I love to set and scope then call for Bulls. I will have a bug headnet on and gloves, tape my caller, cuffs and hems and they still find a way to get in and crawl around my eyes and feast on me...

I tie with a Nor-Vise and love it (I own two). I need to get his attachment and start tying the tooobes.

Hope your next season is full of bent rods and sore knuckles.

George