PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco report

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-28-2007, 11:36 AM
The fishing has been good, with exception of the wind. Several people from Granite Bay Flycasters and I had been having some decent action on Cut Bows to 6lbs and a few mixed DFG planted rainbows to 14".

Floating line early morning when you see the fish swirling the surface and intermediate line later in the am to afternoon or when its windy.

Olive or Black Woolies are working with 8lb tippet (3x). You can get by with a 5wt rod, I did and make sure to hold on, this fish are aggressive and had made some really nice jumps and hard runs

Jeff S.

Scott V
12-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Went out last Sunday for the first time for stillwater trout. I am hooked after one trip, I had 6 on and got 2 to the camera. I might be back out on Monday if the weather is good.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/FirstFish.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Secondfish.jpg

Matt Frey
12-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey Scott
Those are some fatties! Very Sweet! If you dont mind me asking .... what kinda rig were you using? Floating line/sinking? Any info would be appreciated .... Happy New Years!
Matt

Adam Grace
12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
How hard do those fish fight when they have such rounded/nubbed fins and tails?

I'm not trying to be negative, just wondering.

Scott V
12-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Matt I was throwing black wolley buggers that had lots of flash on an intermediate line. And the fish tended to be in the shallow water. I might head back out on Monday morning. Drop me a p.m. if you go, we can meet up.

Adam, I was suprised at the fight they put up, they pulled line from me, they put a good bend in my 7 weight. A 5 weight would be perfect out there, a 3 weight would be way to light. They look like a small submarine with the rounded nose, you ever try to reel in a submarine? :lol:

Ed Wahl
12-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Yow, nice going Scott. Ed

Hairstacker
12-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey, nice trout Scott -- great job!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-29-2007, 09:42 PM
I asked Jeff S where to fish:

"Fish the north side of the lake. You would have to look for the schools and they have been hanging around the surface. If you get there early, you will see there fins on the surface."

Matt Frey
12-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info and offer Scott. Unfortunately, I have to go into the office tomorrow.

Rancho Seco seems like a great place to try out my new tube. I will shoot you a PM before I go and maybe we can meet up.

Happy New Year!