PDA

View Full Version : Helen Shaw passes at 97 years

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Posted by Marty Seldon on Daan Blanton's BB:

Helen Elizabeth (Shaw) Kessler Passed Away at Age 97

Renowned fly Tyer and author Helen Shaw was with us at the beginnings of the Federation of Fly Fishers. Based on Lee Wulff’s suggestions, her husband Herman Kessler designed the FFF’s Reel-Logo, and the Federation’s first jewelry and stationary. Helen was the 2002 recipient of the Federation’s prestigious Buz Buszek Award, the highest honor in fly tying.

Helen Elizabeth Shaw Kessler, 97, of Red Rock, passed away on December 20, 2007 after a short stay at Barnwell Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.

Helen was born on March 2, 1910, in Madison WI. Helen began tying flies very early, while in high school. By the age of 20, she established a fly-tying business in Sheboygan.

She demonstrated fly-tying at the International Outdoor Shows in Chicago, Ill., 1939-1941. She was the only woman member of an all men's fly casting group in Chicago, "The Grand O'Dawn Club." Helen served in the Women's Auxiliary Army Corps (WAAC), rising to the rank of 2nd lieutenant.

She married her husband, Hermann Kessler on September 10, 1953 and moved with him to New York City. Hermann Kessler, 1993, had been the art director of Field and Stream magazine for 30 years.

She was the first woman to be given a luncheon by the prestigious men's club "The Angler's Club of New York" in 1953. Helen was one of the first women to author on the topic of fly tying. Helen did the writing and while she tied the flies her husband, Hermann's great photography illustrated the process and this collaboration produced three books "Fly-Tying" in 1963, "Flies for Fish and Fisherman" in 1989 and, later, "Fly-Tying: Materials, Tools and Techniques." In 1979, she and Hermann moved to their little house in Red Rock in Columbia County.

Darian
12-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Seems like we're losing a number of people who contributed to the knowledge and rich history of fly fishing this year. :? It's inevitable but I hope it doesn't continue at such a rapid pace. 8)

"Fly Tying" was one of the first books I purchased when I began serious fly tying. :) :)