PDA

View Full Version : Sage Z-Axis 8129-4 review

Jasonh
12-28-2007, 12:45 AM
I recently received my sage z-axis 12' 9" 8 wt. from sage and have been playing around with it for the last week. I have to say this might be the best spey rod in the z-axis lineup. It is an absolute canon! I lined it up with a Rio 650 skagit and monic .030 running line with various tips from 8' t-14 to 150 grain 15' rio tips. I have tried various tips with many different flies ranging from smaller leech patterns up to 5-6" long weighted intruders and the rod casts every combo extremely well.

While I have yet to try a Rio AFS head on it yet, i think it will cast well with both an AFS 8/9 and 9/10 head. This would be a good setup for summer and fall fishing with lighter versi-tips for summer steelhead. For winter fishing, this rod seems to like a skagit 650 and if you like a little lighter load a skagit 600. As I mentioned earlier i think this rod really shines with a skagit 650 for winter steelhead fishing. It will be a great rod for both small and large rivers fishing tips anywhere from 20-100' out. Not to mention the shorter length will make it a little easier casting rod in the wind.

The 8129-4 has been on the market now for a few months and we have sold a couple at the shop so far. Not to mention the fact that a couple other employees and I have ordered this rod as well. If you are in the market for a new spey rod this is certainly a rod you should check out!

Don Powell
12-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the great report!
I knew that rod was a "honey" when I tried it out at the Mike McCune/Jeff Putnam Skagit spey clinic at Watt Ave this fall.
Now you've convinced me there is another stick I want to own!
The spey rods <13' fit our Nor Cal rivers so well.

Don

Grampa Spey
07-24-2008, 06:44 AM
I have heard nothing but great things about this rod from Simon, other Spey Jedi Masters, shop owners, instructors and duffers like me.

So how has it worked out for you?

What lines are you still using.

Is it more of a late fall/winter/early spring rod for our California Waters?

Thanks,
Dave

I recently received my sage z-axis 12' 9" 8 wt. from sage and have been playing around with it for the last week. I have to say this might be the best spey rod in the z-axis lineup. It is an absolute canon! I lined it up with a Rio 650 skagit and monic .030 running line with various tips from 8' t-14 to 150 grain 15' rio tips. I have tried various tips with many different flies ranging from smaller leech patterns up to 5-6" long weighted intruders and the rod casts every combo extremely well.

While I have yet to try a Rio AFS head on it yet, i think it will cast well with both an AFS 8/9 and 9/10 head. This would be a good setup for summer and fall fishing with lighter versi-tips for summer steelhead. For winter fishing, this rod seems to like a skagit 650 and if you like a little lighter load a skagit 600. As I mentioned earlier i think this rod really shines with a skagit 650 for winter steelhead fishing. It will be a great rod for both small and large rivers fishing tips anywhere from 20-100' out. Not to mention the shorter length will make it a little easier casting rod in the wind.

The 8129-4 has been on the market now for a few months and we have sold a couple at the shop so far. Not to mention the fact that a couple other employees and I have ordered this rod as well. If you are in the market for a new spey rod this is certainly a rod you should check out!