PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia Question

Jay Murakoshi
12-27-2007, 02:50 AM
It's not really about insomnia but since I can't sleep, I decided to throw out a question to you. I've been sitting here tying flies, working on invoices and the DVD (1:30am)

Ok, this is probably going to lengthy:

My question to you is...... what is your thought about becoming a travel guide or a travel advisor. As many of you know, I have taken over the baja destination from Fishabout this year. But we (Ken and I) have been doing this over 12 years. This year Ken decided to test other waters but I'm sticking with the baja gig since this is what I've wanted for years.
My length of stay usually runs from 6 weeks to 10 weeks and they are all back to back to back weeks. I usually have one group leave early afternoon and the next group arrives that evening. So in short, let's say in the 10 weeks I'm there, I might, just might get to fish 3 maybe 4 days. I run "hosted" trips but I guess it's not like other hosted trips. I know some people host trips and fish with the group, which is fine. But would you be able to stand the thought of just watching and instructing your clients on how to pull on the fish and land it without breaking the rod or would you rather be on the other side and pulling on the fish yourself. I know with some of my friends, it would be hard for them to just be standing in the boat not ripping lips. I sort of like cheerlead. So far, I've been fortunate, all my clients have been great, except for a couple. I think that's the worse thing that could happen on a trip. Where two people in the same boat/room can't get along. So you become the referee.

Now, a lot of people think this is a great life where you can fish and make big bucks or just bucks. Sure you can but do you really know what the bottom line is after every thing is paid for. For instance, let's say I make 25% profit (i'd love that) but now you take out for my airfare, transportation, meals, hotel room, etc......Oh yeah, those expenses come out of the profit. Opps there goes the 25%. But while at home, you have expenses like phone calls, postage, envelopes, stationary, kinko's (fliers, invoices, etc.), working all hours of the night (if your like me) and one thing you can't get rid of TAXES.

I know Keith is probably sitting back and smiling. He's been in this business a short time but he has done a fantastic job with all his travel destinations. I know he puts in a lot time at home doing work, returning phone calls, emails, etc... It's great to be young and energetic. He's been there and doing it.

I can think of more but need to tie more flies

Thanks for reading and let's hear your opinions

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Jay,

I would raise your prices some for starters.

You could host trips for Keith where all you do is go along and fish with a different person every day?

Katz
12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
I hate to say this, but...............

I was told to never make your hobby your job. I spent a summer as a deckhand on a San Diego Albacore Charter boat when I was 14. It was the toughest job of my life. As a result I didn't fish nearly as much for the next several years because of the burn-out.

I truly respect all of you who can guide others fishing all day and then get right back out there on your own the next day. It has to be tough to balance your love and your work. It must also be hard taking clients out when the fishing sucks and you want to get your clients into some good action. I commend you all for your hard work and know it is a labor of love, and that you are not in it for the "bucks".

Thanks for all your hard work and the information you pass freely to all of us on this board. =D>

Katz

Steve Cali
12-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Jay,

Do yourself a favor and write up a business plan.

All the answers you seek will be there my friend...

Hasta luego mi amigo...

SC

Jay Murakoshi
12-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Steve,

I have note pads full of business plans but I don't follow any of them. I have one important business plan - when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed, I want to make sure all my body parts follow me. I do what I do for the pure enjoyment. When I got involved in my fly fishing business 35 years ago, I had one goal that I set and I think I've reached it. So every thing that happens now is just icing on the cake.

My fly tying is just therapy to keep my brain functioning and my fingers limber. Your tying is coming along "big time". I've been looking at those flies you've been posting and grinnnnnnnnnning :D

Katz,

Fishing and fly tying has always been a business for me. I jumped right into the industry and started tying flies for Orvis. Even when I had a real job, the fly tying was a major source of my income. Did I get rich...not even close. One thing I can say is I've met a lot of people with the same interest and learned a lot from different people. I don't think a day goes by without me tying at least 3 to 5 dozen flies. I just finished up 5 dozen sea habits - all for the upcoming shows.

For all whose reading this, I WANT everyone to read the new "NEW" post that I will be sending shortly.

Jay

Steve Cali
12-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Jay,

I am grinning away...I love ya man..."body parts follow me"...geeze Jay. Your fit as a fiddle...Rock on Shaka Khan!

So, get some sleep and go fishing...pay the bills later...

Darian
12-27-2007, 09:36 PM
I feel your pain, Jay.... :lol: :lol: If it's any consolation, the highlight of each trip to Baja that we've taken thru you has been the day you fish with us (Renee and I). :D :D We've had some great times and catches with Efrain but it's always better with the four of us in the Panga.

Fish on Bro!!!! :D :D :D :D

Jay Murakoshi
12-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Darian,

Remember the big school of roosters that we saw by the old ship wreck last year and I was cheerleading on Renee to cast, cast, cast, waittttt, strip, strip, strip - faster. She thought I got excited, have you watched "Location X"

I can't wait to get back down there in some warm weather and excited people. I have a lot of out of state and out of country people this year. A few from Canada and some from Australia and one from France who speaks fluent Spanish. I'm sure after the Denver show next week (if we're able to fly in) I'll have a few more signups. This year, I'll be taking 9 rental rods and it's going to be interesting to see how many come back broken. This year it was 5 out of 6.

Can't wait to see your ties

Jay