PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Fin Recommendation

Matt Frey
12-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey Guys
Santa was good to me this year and I got a float tube! But now I need to get some fins. I was hoping for some recommendations. I know that some are very expensive, but others seem more reasonable.
Thanks in advance,
Matt

David Lee
12-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Force Fins .

They're the only ones I use - get the ajustable ones , and make sure you wear float-tube boots (sizing is important) , NOT cleated wading boots .

Tubing is a scream , I hope you have as much fun doing it as I do !!

David :D

Nip Hadlock
12-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Great fins...though pricey...haunt craigslist and e bay and you might score. 8)
To save dough I use wet wading socks over my stocking foot waders when tubing... :wink:

Scott V
12-27-2007, 10:15 AM
If you are looking for fins when you aren't wearing waders, just get some regular swim fins. That is what I use when I am bare footed. But as for over the boot fins, I have yet to find anything I care for.

Matt Frey
12-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks Guys.

Hey David
Float tube boots? I did a google search and couldnt find what you were talking about. You mind explaining ... I am a little slow today

David Lee
12-27-2007, 06:51 PM
They are like surfing booties , I think Cabela's carries them .

I just use stocking foot waders , or Neoprene socks ..... but sooner or later , you WILL have to walk while carrying the Tube - booties will be much more easy on your feet if you have 'em .

In a pinch , old tennis shoes will work for the unexpected hike .

David

Adam Grace
12-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, Force Fins are great! I have the adjustable fins also.

FlyFlogger
12-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Matt,
You'll love tubing. I wasn't sure about it when I got my first one, so I went with some less expensive, but decent fins by Creek Company that were about $40. Alot of guys use the force fins, but I've never had a chance to kick with my fins for an hour than change to force fins right after to see how they stack up.

For water shoes, I upsize by a size or two and buy the inexpensive watershoes that you use around a pool at Wallmart, Kmart or something like that. I'll slip then over my waders then until I'm getting in my tube, then just slip them off and my fins on. The downside is that if you are in deep mud, they can get lost if you're not careful :?

FF

East Bay Ed
12-29-2007, 08:42 PM
One last thing, make sure to get a fin that floats. Not all fins float if they come off. You don't want to be in the water, in a float tube, looking like a feeding duck searching a fin.

smokeater
12-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey Matt,

I have tried diving fins, Churchills, Outcast fins.......what I have found that works well for me are the fins we use for water rescue in the fire department. Shredder SAR fins. They're made by U.S. Divers and are a sawed off version of one of their heavy duty dive fins. They're made to fit over just about any boot and has a leash built into it. Here's a link if you want to check them out.

http://www.goestores.com/catalog.aspx?storename=rescuesource&DeptID=151053&ItemID=8454147&detail=1

I love em. I use them for river rescue and floatubing. They are totally bombproof, comfortable, they stay on, but are easy to put on and take off. The only negative I can give you is that they are a bit stiff, but worth every penny. You can get them at Rescue Source in Wilton and at $69.75 I think they are cheaper than the Force fins.

Matt Frey
12-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually ordered the Force Fins. Expensive!!! But from what I hear it is well worth it.

Thanks again and Happy New Years!

Adam Grace
12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Matt, get the fin savers for those fins since they don't float, they sink. Tether the fins to your legs! Enjoy your new fins.

Mike McKenzie
12-30-2007, 10:05 PM
I've been using these things for years on my stocking foot waders with Force Fins..... they work great!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/stripermike/fs.jpg
Neoprene Booties for Tubing

These Neoprene Booties have hard soles and are 3/16" thick and 10" tall. They offer maximum protection for your waders against rocks, sand, and chafing. Full side zipper with inside flap over the zipper makes for easy on and off. Available in sizes L through XXL.

Another "tethering tip" tip for your Force Fins is to use a ¼" black Tyrap looped through the brass eye rivet on the end of the strap of the Force Fins. Make a 4" loop ( this also aids in tightening the fins on your foot) Then I pass a piece of Velcro through the loop and around my ankle a couple of times and you've got a cheap "tether" ( that has not failed me yet!)

If Kiene's can't get the 'booties" PM me if you want more info....

Mike