PDA

View Full Version : 'International Sportsmen's Exposition' Jan 2008

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-25-2007, 11:35 PM
http://www.sportsexpos.com/

San Mateo, CA ISE show = Jan 10-13, 2008 (corrected)

Sacramento, CA ISE show = Jan 17-20, 2008

David Lee
12-26-2007, 07:33 AM
I'll be in the Sacramento fly tying theater on the 19th and 20th .

Never tyed at such a big event before ..... it should be fun - :evil:

David :D

Matt Frey
12-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Thats pretty cool David. Congrats. What are you going to be tying up?

I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

David Lee
12-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks , Matt .

The best part of Xmas is ...... it's OVER . I've had company for two of the past three months , and a bit of time alone w/ the Wife will be welcome !!

I am planning on tying -

The Dave Sellers Jig-Hook Sea Habit (no fun to cast .... but Stripe likes it !)

My Woolhead Sunfish (the 'full-dress' one)

Bob Popovics Siliclones (Striper killer on the A.)

My Woolhead Sculpin (haven't done that one in public yet ....) ??

Anything YOU want to see ?

David :D

Matt Frey
12-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey David
No special requests from me, but I am interested in seeing how the head is formed on the Sea Habit. Be sure to keep us posted as to what times you are tying. I'd like to see you in action!
Matt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-26-2007, 09:13 PM
I was off the San Mateo date, so I corrected it.

Thanks Capt Norm

Ed Wahl
12-27-2007, 12:43 AM
I'd like to see you tie a simple, yet very effective crawdad pattern. Something that you can toss into the kind of cover Bass like and not cry like a baby when you snag it off. Got anything like that? :wink: Ed

David Lee
12-27-2007, 08:56 AM
I'd like to see you tie a simple, yet very effective crawdad pattern. Something that you can toss into the kind of cover Bass like and not cry like a baby when you snag it off. Got anything like that? :wink: Ed

I've heard of a guy that uses something like that to great effect ......

David :P

Jay Murakoshi
12-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Hey Matt,

I have the original instructions on tying the Sea Habits. It has the step by step description of the fly and how to form the heads. If you want it, I can email it to you.

Trey Combs was the originator of the SH and then I started tying them for all
his clients many years back. I give all the credit to Trey for the great pattern. I use it every where I fish.

Let me know if you want the instructions

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
12-27-2007, 07:43 PM
david,
Are you tying in the fly tying video theater or the How To area. If you're tying on "tyer's row" you'll have the time to do that many flies. If you're in the theater, you'll find your tying time is short.

Not doing the Sacramento show this year, only the San Mateo and then all of the fly fishing shows

Jay

David Lee
12-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Jay -

The theater , I think .

Drag you won't be there , I was hoping you could bring me some stuff .

Matty -

Jay does the S.H. head the 'right' way - I just smother some EZ-BODY in Epoxy , add eyes , repeat . Go see him tye sometime ( I learn something from Jay EVERY time I watch him) .

David

Jay Murakoshi
12-27-2007, 11:08 PM
David,

I might take a drive for a day at the show, not for sure. I need to pick up a reel from Keith before he wears it out :-)

If I could figure out how to shoot "live" I would send you the video of forming the sea habit head. I'm in the process of epoxying the heads right now - one at a time.

In the future, I might be putting up a Quick time page on my web for fly tying. Just gotta figure out how much work this would be. Maybe it could be short segments on things like epoxying heads, spinning and trimming deer hair, etc....

Some time next year, when I come up for air, I'll be starting a fly tying DVD. I haven't had the time to sit down and write the script yet but should be able to do that while I'm on the road for the next couple months.

Jay

Matt Frey
12-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey Jay
Thanks for the offer. I will send you an email for those Sea Habit instructions. I am disappointed that I came late and missed watching you tie one at Bill's shop a while back. I did get to see you tie a deer hair bug and it was awesome.
Thanks again
Matt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Jay is the most noted tier of 'Sea Habits' which are almost too nice to fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Sacramento ISE sport show starts this Thursday at Cal-Expo and runs through Sunday, January 17 - 20, 2008.