PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco report by Sam Yee - hot!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-25-2007, 01:02 AM
Got this email from the CFFU email system:

Here's your Christmas Gift from me, The Secret Fly

Sunday & Monday I fished and only caught 2 fish, a 4 pounder today and a little one yesterday But I had lots of bites and lots of fish that got off LDRs. I'm going back after Christmas.

Sunday I was out fished by just about everyone. Just did not have the right fly I guess too sparse & too small. Two guys from the Bay area were catching fish like crazy all day long right next to me. They had the secret fly that was really working plus they said they fished Rancho Seco all the time. I thought it was strange to drive an hour & a half from Napa to fish Rancho Seco but after seeing them fish it on Sunday I believe. Maybe it was my blue green intermediate fly line one instead of a clear one. They used a clear intermediate with a 3.5 lb test fluorocarbon tippet. They even coached me after watching my fruitless efforts for hours they gave me tips, where to cast, how to retrieve, etc, etc. Finally they even gave me one of the secret flies.

Immediately I lost 3 fish, my hooking reflexes are getting too slow. The secret fly was a Standard Brown woolly bugger with a little flash and crystal chenille. It just looked like the traditional woolly bugger nothing really special. It was pretty big too about a size 8-10 and it was about 2 inches long, an inch of hook & crystal chenille and an inch of marabou & flash. . So there you have it the secret fly was a large brown woolly bugger. Clear intermediate line & 3.5 lb fluorocarbon will help too. I won't tell you the secret retrieve though. You'll have to figure it out your self and the secret spot, you'll have to figure that out too.

There was a poacher fishing from shore who must have caught 15-20 fish on Sunday. He made 3 trips to his car and came back for more. I saw him there on Monday too. Bring the Cal-tip number & your cell.

That's my fish story, Merry Christmas

Sam Yee

__________________________________________________ ___

Ed Wahl
12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, the weather change seems to have put a damper on the trout bite. I fished with the same guys Sam met, turns out they are the same guys I know from the hot salmon runs at Goethe park. It's no accident that they catch fish, tons of fish, whether or not anyone else is. Don, Howie, Jimmie, Stanley, and all the rest of the gang are some of the most dedicated fishermen I've ever met. They managed 2 trout today, one of which went 3 or 4 pounds, I smell like skunk. Rather cold and windy, on the south side VERY cold and windy. I did find some fish way up in the creek inlets, never did ID them. They were right below the surface, wouldn't touch a 'bugger. As a matter of fact they fled at the sight of it. I don't think they were trout unless the trout took up the habit of cruising through standing grass. I think that either they're carp(don't know if the lake holds any), or more likely, some big-assed bass. If I'm not called in to work I'll hit it again tomorrow, I just love the misery. Ed

fishngy
12-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Ed, It was nice to say hi and what a great pram! I have nothing to report either. Cold morning dragging around a wolly bugger. I will try it again later in the week if the weather cooperates. Bill

Ed Wahl
12-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks Bill, it was nice running into you. I should just change the pic on my posts to one of my pram huh. Ed