PDA

View Full Version : Bass' sense of smell - Attractant?

Adam Grace
12-22-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm watching Bill Dance right now and he's talking about how scientists believe that bass have a great sense of smell, 100 time better than a dogs! This show has made me re-think my decision to not use attractant to mask "bad" smells. He is now saying that he thinks that the smell is more important than the action or color of the lure....not that those two criteria aren't important but he was saying that if a proper lure smells bad the fish will turn away, usually at the last second when the smell is the strongest.

Do any of you guys use attractant?

Would you even consider it or simply remain a purist?

I have to admit that I am very curios!

jlmelend
12-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Dude...I was watching the same exact show just now with my kids. Memmer used chumming with shrimp to get me into some fish in Hawaii so I suppose it's not out of bounds for salt water fishing. I've never needed to use the stuff for bass fly fishing, even when I fished in the midwest. We just tried to figure out where the fish were and the skill set was all about keeping keeping the fish out of the weeds when you hooked them.
Short answer - never tried it...but I agree, the show peaked my curiosity!

Hairstacker
12-22-2007, 01:51 PM
I've never used scent on my flies and don't plan to do so, but I do recall a study that was done in the 1970s that concluded, if two fishermen head out in a boat, the one that tended the outboard throughout the day generally caught less fish, ostensibly due to the smell of gasoline/oil contaminating his/her lures. I've made it a point ever since to always fill up the gas tank on my car the night before rather than on the way to a fishing session. :lol:

I know that a lot of conventional gear bass fisherman like to use various commercially-prepared scents. The whole subject reminds me of those Tom Mann fruit-flavored Jelly Worms. In any case, like Joe, I've never felt the need (or desire for that matter) for the use of scents on my flies.

Ed Wahl
12-22-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't know Adam, I've smelled Bass and I've smelled dogs. While Bass do smell better I don't think it's 100 times better, except maybe when the dogs are wet. :) Ed

Adam Grace
12-23-2007, 12:25 AM
:lol: Funny Ed! :lol:

Bill Dance also said that the bass' sense of smell increases as the bass ages and grows, also saying that is probably why catching those big lunkers can be so difficult. Maybe scent will improve on the average size of the bass caught as well!

I'm very Curios!

I'm gonna try it out next bass fishing season.

I bet that it'd work well for Delta stripers !?!

Ed Wahl
12-23-2007, 12:35 AM
What a coincidence, my dogs smells increase with age also :lol: . Keep 'em coming Adam, I've got a million of these :lol: . Ed

gene goss
12-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I learned about putting scent (anchory oil) on flies 30 years ago while fishing tide waters for chinook salmon on the Smith, and Chico River. The Striped bass has double nostrils, and have a excellent sense of smell. If the water is off colored or colded I will juice up a fly and move it slowly throught the fish. I also use scent for bass and trout fishing also, the scent helps to hide my cigar smoking that i like to do when I'm out fishing. Oil base scent will gum up you fly, you will need to wash your flies in warm water and soap after fishing. Power bait is a water base scent that works well, and will not gum up your fly. It feels good to come out of the closet. 8)

Dustin Revel
12-28-2007, 01:02 PM
I never used any prepackaged scents, but i am guilty of rubbing my flesh fly ona carcass or two. also, when bass fishing i grab a big handful of mud and stick my fly in it then squeeze it in my hand. this produces a more neutral smell, and it seems to work pretty well.

Ed Wahl
12-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Awww, what happened? There was the funniest post here last night from Mr. Uncool. I laughed so hard some wine came out my nose :oops:. Went to show it to my wife and it was gone. Seems to me that if we can't poke fun at ourselves and our pretentions we've become the flyfishing snobs everyone else thinks we are. Ed

roostersgt
12-30-2007, 11:49 AM
I prefer to go top water poppers for bass when fly fishing and doubt scents would make any difference. When I rubber worm fish, I usually apply a crawdad scent (smelly jelly). It outfishes unscented worms 10 to 1. Maybe just because they hold on longer. Not sure if it draws them in or entices the bite. I miss more hooksets without scents.

Steve

Bob Scheidt
12-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Once when I was fishing Davis, a guy said to me, "the fun is something pulling on the end of your string, how it gets there is a matter of choice."
I tried some trout gravy at Crowley and it didn't help. I have nothing against using scents, but as a flyfisherman I don't opt for the easiest thing that will catch the most fish. For instance, I know I could get more on bait, but I would rather fly fish.
We fly fishermen do have a snobbish reputation with many non fly anglers. I don't think this reputation is good for anybody.

A woman said to me, you want to make that woolly bugger better, put a piece of worm on that hook, it really helps. She may be right, but I opt to leave the worm off.
I don't see anything wrong with using scents. Bill Dance is a good guy. Seems like a genuine fun, nice, occassionally clumsey guy.
Bob