PDA

View Full Version : Sage largemouth rod

Scott V
12-20-2007, 03:25 PM
If you have not gone down to the shop to try out this rod, you really need to. The combination of the rod with the line is truly a wonderful thing. I am a topwater junky, and I really love my bass bugs, and this rod threw them like a dream. I will be getting one next month for sure. I am not an advocate of expensive stuff for the fact I can not afford it, but this is one rod I will definetly be getting. And the reel they recommend that I get for it is was only $55. They could have suggested an expensive one, but a true honest suggestion is what I got, which I am very thankful for. Within just a few casts I was able to put that bass bug under a fence opening that was only a few inches high. The accuracy was amazing, if it can make my casts look good, I can only imagine what a seasoned fishermen could do with it.

And no I do not work for Sage, nor do I know any one that does. I am just a humble fly fishermen that has found a new love and she will be mine, oh yes she will be mine and I will love her and use her all day long. :D

Rodney D.
12-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Scott, did you cast the Smallmouth or the largemouth? I was at the shop last week and tried both (for the third time!!). They were amazing. I was worried about the length picking the line up off the water but it was no problem. I am selling a bunch of my old conventional tackle to get one. I think I am going with the smallmouth, I liked how it had a little slower action. I can't wait to have that baby strapped to the side of my Kayak going after smallies in Minor and Elk sloughs! What reel did they reccomend? I plan to use a battengill 7/8 on it. Great rods at a decent price...gotta love it!

Scott V
12-21-2007, 11:25 AM
I tried the largemouth version. Mainly because I wanted something to throw big bass bugs with. The reel they recommended was the Redington for $55. they like that one the best because of how much lighter it is over the Battenkill. I am in the process of begging, borrowing, and stealing to get my hands on one. I will have mine by no later than mid January

Rodney D.
12-21-2007, 11:52 AM
I love your positive attitude about getting the rod by January! I am telling everyone to get me gift cards to Kiene's to help fund my obsession with that rod! Let's see...wife's Christmas present or Fly Rod...wife's Christmas present or fly rod...I'm sure she will understand.

Ed Wahl
12-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Rodney, could you elaborate a little bit on the Smallies in Minor and Elk sloughs? I'm a Smallie junkie myself, although mostly in creeks. Can these sloughs be accessed and fished with a short range boat? I'm in an 8ft pram with oars and electric motor. If there's a gentle slope on a levee I can launch off it, but riprap makes it impossible. Ed

Scott V
12-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey Rodney, get the wife her present first, just don't get as big as a diamond as you were originally. And I too would like more info on the slough's, for I am like Ed in the fact I feel smallie's are one of the best fish to get.

As for the rod I might be getting it sooner, yesterday I got my Christmas bonus from work, and lets just say there is enough for a nice new rod under my tree.

Rodney D.
12-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey Scott and Ed, sorry for the late reply...last minute Christmas stuff. I grew up about 1 mile from Elk Slough (the opposite side of the river from Courtland CA) and I would ride my bike in the old days and catch bluegills and bass from the bank of Elk Slough. Elk is better for largemough especially around areas behind Bogel vineyards near Clarksburg. Ed, you could launch from various spots on Clarksburg side of Elk Slough and your pram would be perfect for Elk. Keep an eye on the tides as the current does get a little strong in there at times. My brother lives near the Bogel wine tasting room (no small co-incidence) and there are a few spots near his place to launch. For smallmouths Minor slough is better and it is closer to steamboat slough (which also is pretty good for smallmouth...maybe better. It is a little bit of a haul to paddle there. I have found the best spots to be near irrigation pumps and/or rocky banks (especially the rock banks that have old pilings next to them and there are quite a few there. Minnow and crawdad imitations work well in slower moving current areas. We need to hook up and you guys can help with my flyfishing and I can show you some new Delta spots...I can catch them with conventional tackle but my flyfishing still needs some help.

Mike Churchill
12-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Rodney, Scott, and Ed:

If you boys don't mind, I'd like to join you in exploring those areas after the holidays.. I live in the Pocket area, so those waters are just a few minutes from my house.

Depending on launch options, I can dig out the float tube or launch the 12 foot boat and save someone the effort of paddling and offer them a swivel seat instead (8 horse Merc to join the electric motor shortly). :)

:D

Mike