PDA

View Full Version : NFF- Just came into a J.C. Higgins auto 12g.

TaylerW
12-18-2007, 06:31 PM
anybody versed on the shotgun? all i know is that it is a 2 3/4 model 66. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-19-2007, 12:30 AM
"This gun would have been manufactured by High Standard, but I cannot cross reference it to a particular model. With the HS name it would retail for something between $200 and $400. With the Sears trade name it is likely to be one of the lower priced HS models and would retail for about $150-$200 actually Sears and Roebuck owned all of High Standards rifle and shotgun productio back in the late 40s to the early 60s as Sears also owned a sizable part of High standard in Fact the President of High Standard was a Sears Vice president 583 code actually means Sears House brand Not High Standard product owned and made exclusivly by Sears. High standard was not allowed by thier contract and agreement to sell rifles or shotguns on their own untill 1962 as Sears owned these models. Model 66 shotgun was definitly designed and made by High standard as the model 20 pump However the bolt action was designed by H&R and more than half of them 583 1 to 583 13 were made by H&R For High Standard . Basicly what I am trying to say is that the model 66 is Exclusive Sears product made by and for them As High Standard was infact a division of Sears durring the fifties .the guns marked J C higgins 583 were not High Standards secound quality it was the only shotguns and rifles they made by High Standard and at the time they were Sears top quality and were actully better than most of their compition "

I 'Googled' it...................

TaylerW
12-19-2007, 01:13 AM
thanks for the info...
happy holidays

Rob
12-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Bill didn't you work at the Tower of Sports for a while ??

I sure loved that place , my dad and i would go there all the time !!!!

Back in the days before Big 5 , Sports Authority or Wild sports .