PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead reports in Nor Cal

Capn Paul
12-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Bill,

Great post! I just fished my favorite little coastal steelie creek today, as it broke open to the ocean for the first time this season with yesterday's rain, and a big swell last week helped too. I was very pleasantly surprised to see two adult steelhead moving up, one of which nearly ran right into my leg, then swirled on my black and red wooly bugger, missing the fly entirely, but whew! An easy 24" fish which would have really spanked me on my 4wt. Even though I didn't catch or hook any fish, it was a great day.

Most of the time when I fish this and other coastal streams, there is good flow... enough to get a nice drift. I must confess, however, that I have only caught two steelhead on flies, so I am soliciting your advice. Can you recommend some good flies (sizes too) for these coastal steelhead in tide water? I fished wooly buggers, a matuka pattern, some streamers, white bunny leech, a few nymphs, and a polar shrimp pattern, and probably a few more I am forgetting. I definitely felt my confidence waning as far as my offerings were concerned. The water was brown and clear today, like tea. BTW, I usually fish my 7wt when I expect adult fish.
Also, I had no trouble getting down with a little split shot and my floating line, so it was more of a "cover water" and "count down" aproach, but I know that is not always the case.

Thanks for your help, and keep up the good work!
Paul