PDA

View Full Version : American river fish counts

hookedupanglers
12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
American river fish counts

Although dfg has stopped the adding the fish counts to their web site, I thought I would share the email I received from them. Its not great news but its still early.

Updated wed dec 12th 2007
Follow this link and click on view pdf

http://www.hookedupanglers.com/Fishing-report.htm

jlmelend
12-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not very familiar with adranamous fish ecology or epidemiology, but these stats beg the question: are there any theories about why the adult steelhead numbers are so low to date compared to last year whereas the fall half pounder numbers are better to date this year than last year? A later adult winter run?
Calling Tristan, Jay or Big TJ...any ideas?

ycflyfisher
12-15-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm not very familiar with adranamous fish ecology or epidemiology, but these stats beg the question: are there any theories about why the adult steelhead numbers are so low to date compared to last year whereas the fall half pounder numbers are better to date this year than last year? A later adult winter run?
Calling Tristan, Jay or Big TJ...any ideas?

The relative strength of the half pounder component has NEVER been a good predictor of the relative strength of the multisalt run of the same year. The fish are from different age classes. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Nor is the relative strength of the half pounder component from one year a good predictor of one salt fish in the following year, even on watersheds where the half pounder LH trait is expressed in upwards of 90% of the fish.

The half pounder component is generally accepted to be the biggest portion of the anadramous picture that we have little understanding of. These is no real concensus WHY it even happens on the watersheds where it's common. It's agreed on that it has to be maximizing the abundance of the fish somehow since it's so prevalent in some watersheds. No one really knows why.

There's lots of theories about why the pounder component is rarely a good predictor of what's to come. All of 'em make sense to varying degrees. None of 'em have been backed up with any documentation, that's stood up to peer review.

Finsane
12-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Last season wasn't typical, a very early return. Usually, the end of Jan. all of Feb, and beginning of March are the big months. Stay tuned...

Covelo
12-17-2007, 06:24 PM
More disturbing is that the hatchery has only recorded 7 jacks to date. This is usually used as an indicator of the king returns for the next 2 seasons. Looks like next year and the year after are only going to get worse.

I would not read too much into the steelhead numbers yet. We have only had one good soaking this season and with the river at a pitiful 1100 cfs, there is nothing really pushing the fish up to the hatchery. Low clear water makes fishing tough too, so you cannot even use fishing success or lack there of as an indicator of how many fish are in the system.