PDA

View Full Version : Bead recipe last word

Randy B
12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info. Didn't realize I would cause such a stir with such a simple question and that EMOTIONS where just under the skin with a lot of folks on this issue.

This is not meant as an attack/flame/burn/etc towards anyone, but just some food for thought.

Given some of the flies that we use for trout fishing like, chernobyl ants and such, which is just petroleum products tied on hook with tread, it is hard to differentiate/define what exactly a "fly" may "legally" be constructed from. Would usng thread to cinch down a grub body on a lead jig head to shad fish be any less of a fly than a chernobyl ant? The components a very similar - hook, thread, and petroleum product.

I guess many purists would consider anyone not fishing bamboo and only dries to be on par of a spin-casting bass fisherman, not that there is anything wrong with that if it rolls YOUR motor over. What about trolling for sailfish or marlin with a teaser, is that fly fishing? What about chumming for saltwater species, is that fly fishing?

I believe casting dispersions for fly fishing using one technique over another, when their is limited or contradictory science at best, is what creates the general belief that fly fisherman are a bunch of elitist snobs.

I for one, will continue to fly fish, with dries, nymphs, streamers, and occassionally beads until I see that it is harming fish from first hand experience.

Just my two cents.

Niceguy
12-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Amen

Mike O
12-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Don't forget to mention that one petrolium-based item that is ubiquitous [sp?] on flies....NYLON THREAD!! guess we should all switch to cotton or silk?