PDA

View Full Version : Delta 12-12

Hairstacker
12-13-2007, 01:58 AM
After finding out at the last moment I didn't have to go into work today, I took a 1/2 second to decide to go fishing instead. :D Fly fished out of the inflatable kayak with my 7wt. rod and one of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/12-12-07Delta1.jpg

The fly is 5" long and I tied it for stripers. Well, after a couple of fruitless hours with nary a striper in sight or any sign of them in the area, I decided to target largemouths instead with the same fly. I'm glad I made the switch, as it turned the day around. The following are photos of some of the better fish caught today. This one I taped at 18":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/12-12-07Delta2.jpg

Here's another photo of the same fish:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/12-12-07Delta3.jpg

Later on, I picked up this 16"er by placing the fly in front of that haystack of dead tullies you see in the background:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/12-12-07Delta4.jpg

And a little ways down from that one, I picked up this one that went 17 1/2":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/12-12-07Delta5.jpg

I must say, I'm pretty happy with how this fly appeals to largemouths. These were nice, thick, healthy largemouths that felt heavy in the hand and they were on average bigger than what I usually pick up with the 3-4" chartreuse/white Clousers I normally use at this time of the year.

By the way, all of the fish I caught today were holding close to the outside edge of weedlines. I would toss the fly out there, let it sink a bit, then give it 2-3 hard strips, before letting it pause for several seconds, and then stripping again. Seemed like all of them hit while the fly was paused.

In any case, I was a little disappointed I didn't get into any stripers, but I definitely can't complain about having the opportunity to catch largemouths in the middle of December! :D

David Lee
12-13-2007, 06:59 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

How much weight did you use to get that sucker to track right ?

David =D>

Tony Buzolich
12-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Those are some respectable bass Mike. =D>

TONY

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Forgive my lack of fly knowledge, but what is that fly? Those are some beautiful bass. They are my favorite to catch... 8)

Adam Grace
12-13-2007, 08:53 AM
I'll take largemouths like those any day! Nice fish!

Darian
12-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Mike,.... Is that pattern a variation of the one created/described by Steve Cali over on Blanton's BB :?: :?: :?:

jhaquett
12-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Great fish, definitely agree that catching decent sized LMB in the middle of December is pretty cool!

Hairstacker
12-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks all!

The fly was not based on a Steve Cali fly but includes elements of flies tied by a number of individuals. It was primarily inspired by one posted by Dave Sellers on Blanton’s board. It has no name at this point but here are some details:

Hook: Tiemco 600SP 2/0
Thread: Danville Flat Waxed Nylon (chartreuse)
Eyes: 5/32” nickel “Real Eyes”
Weight: .030 lead wire
Tail: Paired white saddle hackles (tied in at hook bend)
Body: rabbit strip (wrapped around hook from hook bend to just behind dumbbell eyes)
Underwing: white bucktail
Flash: pearl & silver Flashabou
Overwing: chartreuse bucktail
Overflash: smolt blue Krystal Flash
Collar: red leech yarn
Hackle: white saddle hackle
Total length of fly: 5"

The lead wire represents 3 strands that are strapped down on the top of the hook to help turn it over so it rides hook-point up. Essentially, I just take a length of lead wire and fold it into thirds and strap the whole thing on. Its length is from the bend of the hook to just behind the dumbbell eyes. Despite the weight of this lead and the dumbbell eyes, I have found you can fish this fly very shallow or you can count down to fish it further down in the water column. It seems to track correctly (i.e., hook point up) for the most part but sometimes I'm not so sure -- maybe that's part of the appeal? Also, I could have just used larger dumbbell eyes and eliminated this lead wire, but I didn't want a jigging action for this particular fly.

You can’t see it well in the pictures, but once the red leech yarn is tied in to form a collar, I take a bodkin and tease it out a bit all the way around the hook so that it undulates and flows backward a bit when the fly is swimming. (I like to think it simulates a baitfish that’s bleeding around the gills but who knows what the bass think of it. :lol: )

The hackle tied around the head is not dry fly hackle but it’s not as soft and long as the hackle you often see on Whistlers either. I intended it not so much to push water but rather to help the fly suspend a bit more when it’s paused (i.e., to keep the fly from immediately nose-diving like a Clouser when it's paused).

Anyway, I plan to use it as a go-to fly for largemouths whenever Delta topwater is out of season.:D

Darian
12-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Mike,.... Thanks for the info. I've seen the pattern by Dave Sellers. In his pattern, the weight is distributed more to the rear of the hook shank for a "....darting action...." rather than the typical Clouser action you described. Is that true in your pattern as well :?: :?:

I certainly see why that fly is becoming your go to fly for black bass.... Those're beautiful fish. :D :D :D

jlmelend
12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Nice post Mike...Beautiful fish, beautiful flies and tons of useful info!

FYI - I saw a spin rod guy land over 20 fish with poppers and fish trap lures aiming right for weeds and "haystacks" just like you did.

Well done! Still a chance for us mortals to get into some LMBs! :D

Hairstacker
12-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks Joe!

Darian -- Regarding the positioning of the weighting, I don't think it's true for this fly as far as being the same as Mr. Seller's. I think the dumbbell eyes I'm using are heavier than the epoxy(?) he uses for his head, and I've strapped the lead wire on the entire length of the shank except for a little gap behind the dumbbell eyes. So, although my fly will remain horizontal a tad longer than a Clouser, the head will angle downward when it starts sinking. Not saying it's any better, just different. I am very intrigued by the concept of a "darting action" -- I will definitely have to do some experimenting with that one as well. 8)

Darian
12-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Mike,.... Check your PM. :D :D :D