PDA

View Full Version : Swinging flies on the Russian - any advice?

SFMike
12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi there,
does anyone have any recommendations for areas to go to on the Russian River for swinging flies? I was out there last Saturday and the water was a bit off color, so most people weren't fishing. I spooked two steelhead in really shallow water that I couldn't see at all. I talked to a few guys who said they saw lots of fish the weekend before. I was fishing for a bit down at Cassini Ranch (you have to pay $3 to get in through the campground) and liked the water, but it was a bit slow for swinging.

I prefer to swing flies on the spey rod using a floating line or sinktips if necessary. So if anyone has any info they don't mind sharing, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

SFMike
12-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi Carl,
Thanks for the reply/warning. I know it can get crowded there, so I'll keep that in mind. I have a single-hander too, so maybe I'll leave the spey at home when I head up there. Are you fishing lines like a T-300 or T-200 or just using shooting heads? Did you really mean a sinking running line too or will a long sinking shooting head work? I've fished with a full sink line before and it's a lot of work!

thanks,
mike