PDA

View Full Version : Question

Charlie S
12-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I've recently seen some very successful guys fishing with nymphs with center pin reels and long rods. They caught a bunch of fish and not one of them was using bait. Has anyone here tried this method? Any comments on it?

Bob Laskodi
12-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I tried that up in Alaska when our guide carried one along to show us how it works! Didn't use a center pin reel, but a spinning reel instead. I have only one thing to say:::: WOWZERS!!!!! Float rods are an absolutely deadly way to fish and they should be banned because you can get quality dead drifts for over 200 yards (that's right 200 yards!)!!! I could not believe how devastatingly effective it is!!!
Here is a shot of it in use. On this fish I had over 100 yards of line out when I hooked it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/laskodi/Picture268a.jpg

sfspey
12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
They don't call it the dark side for nothing. :wink:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-03-2007, 09:38 PM
In 1976 I was up at Bristol Bay Lodge, Alaska.

Went out with guide Bus Bergman Jr. in a jet boat out of the lodge. We were fishing the river near the lodge between two lakes.

We had the lodge owner's young son with us and Bus set up a float rig so he could easily catch some fish. It was a spinning outfit with a big "avocado" size wooden float with a dowel in the middle. Bus put on a glo-bug and some shot and about 4 feet of line below the float.

We drifted down the river hooking what seemed like every fish that was in it. They would jump and get off and we would hook another almost instantly.

bus said it was a method he learned while guiding Steelhead in British Columbia.

He told me not to ever talk about it because it was too deadly.

mr. 3 wt.
12-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Hey Charlie, might have seen those same guys your talking about. Total sponges just sucking up all the fish. I would never fish like that! :wink:

Dustin Revel
12-04-2007, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't ever think about going with them either :D