PDA

View Full Version : Filters for SLRs

PatrickM
11-30-2007, 10:23 AM
My brother just gave me a Pentax K10D digital SLR (yeah, he's a good brother). I haven't used an SLR since the days of my old Pentax ME-Super.
Just wondering if you camera guys out there had any suggestions for filters. I'm going to get a circular polarizing filter, but is there anything else you guys would recommend? I'll be shooting mainly scenic outdoor stuff.
Thanks, guys.

Rob
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
My brother just gave me a Pentax K10D digital SLR (yeah, he's a good brother). I haven't used an SLR since the days of my old Pentax ME-Super.
Just wondering if you camera guys out there had any suggestions for filters. I'm going to get a circular polarizing filter, but is there anything else you guys would recommend? I'll be shooting mainly scenic outdoor stuff.
Thanks, guys.

You should also get a good UV filter , and make sure you don't get a cheap one , you do don't want cheap glass . My 77mm Polarizing filter was around 100 .00 and the UV was around 50.00 ( ouch :roll: ) I can't beleive good filters cost so much !!!!

Amador
11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Wow. I need to change relatives! That is an amazing camera!!

Polarizer is a must. I like the b&W's myself. I also use Singh-Ray Graduated Neutral Density filters 2-stop soft and a 3-stop hard.

I believe that UV filters are completely useless, but that is just my opinion. The less glass that you can put in front of your lends the better.

SteelieD
11-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, seriously, good brother!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-30-2007, 10:11 PM
It is a common practice to put on a UV or "skylight" filter so you don't have to clean your len and chance scatching it.

I do also buy B&W filters.

Amador
12-03-2007, 09:25 AM
It is common practice for a camera salesman to upsell a customer on a UV filter to protect their lens. While I can't argue that they do a fantastic job of that; they fall way short on their image enhancing claims. These lenses are all tested and tuned to minimize distortion without that extra piece of glass in front of them. Another issue with these filters is light refraction. When shooting at certain angles, light will bounce between the lens and the UV filter and cause either lens-flair or a completely washed out image. Many people use these filters and don't even realize the damge it is causing to their photographs.

You are better served by using care and a lens cap to protect your camera.

Adam Grace
12-03-2007, 06:37 PM
UV filters do protect many lenses, it is pretty common. If you are getting reflection or sunspots simply take off the UV filter or use a lens shade. For most instances a UV filter will not mess up your shot unless you have a bad filter or the angle of sun or intense light causes flares or reflections.

I would recommend a graduated ND filter as well, get both that were recommended above, they take some great shots!

Have fun with that cool camera and please convince your parents to adopt me! :lol:

PatrickM
12-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the help, guys.
I've been having some fun goofing around with the new camera. It's an incredible piece of equipment, even though I've yet to figure out half of the features.
Here's a pic of our new puppy I took the other day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/pmarlborough/Picture003-1.jpg

Amador
12-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the help, guys.
I've been having some fun goofing around with the new camera. It's an incredible piece of equipment, even though I've yet to figure out half of the features.
Here's a pic of our new puppy I took the other day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/pmarlborough/Picture003-1.jpg

Cute pup! Let me know if you have any questions about the camera. I use been using the same camera for about a year now, so I know it quite well. Enjoy!!

Rob
12-09-2007, 08:08 AM
The only reason i us a UV is for protecting my lens . I would rather clean dust off it than my lens. I don't remember ever having a photo ruined from a UV filter , i guess i must be lucky . But i almost always make sure the sure my lens is shaded , with a lens hood and if necessary my hat . I have always had them on my SLRs. I am not into using a lot of filters , just the UV and a polarizing filter . I mostly do landscape and close up shots of flowers and that's all i have ever needed. I also feel the less glass is better , but i feel safer having a extra layer of glass out front . I feel that if you buy a good quality filter, i don't think you will ever notice it . The 20'' x 30'' prints i had done were very sharp , two were taken wiyh the polarizing filter and one had the UV.