PDA

View Full Version : Old time fly fisher Mel Leven

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Mel Leven, a long time fly fisherman, fell and broke his hip, then over thanksgiving weekend had a stroke.

He is now recovering in the hospital, his family thought it would be nice if his friends sent him cards... he is 93 years old, and cannot speak right now from the stroke.

You can write him at:

St. Joseph's Hospital
501 So. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91505

from Jane & Hal Janssen

Larry S
12-01-2007, 05:06 PM
For picture of Mel Leven -

http://www.upapix.com/pages/interviews8.htm

Quite a guy!

Larry S

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks Larry.

I met Mel only once at Rick's Lodge on Fall River in about 1975. I believe that was one of his favorite hangouts.

I think he had a pretty fantastic life.

I had a young man call me who was one of Mel's neighbors. He said his dad and Mel fished all over the world together.

Jay Murakoshi
12-01-2007, 09:27 PM
When I was a youngster years ago,I met Mel (aka Hollywood) on the Smith River. Along with Bill Schaadt. I was a rookie in the line up and when I hooked my first huge salmon, they were all yelling to get the ***** fish out of the hole and down river. After the fish went down river, he just sat below my pram and wouldn't move. Back then, we were using fiberglass rods. I had a Saxton rod that just flexed at the grip. Not knowing what to do, Bill helped me out.
He anchored above me and gave me directions on how to get the sulking fish to move. He told me to take my small pyramid lead anchor and put it over the head of the salmon and drop it. That should move it.....
Well you know the rest of the story :D

After a few years of getting to the hole at 4am and freezing my butt off, I gave up fishing the North Coast. What good memories

Jay