PDA

View Full Version : Mag Bay Still Sputtering…

bajafly
11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Endless Season Update 11/24/2007
REPORT #1090 "Below the Border" Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996

East Cape

More celebrating Thanksgiving and less fishing is the report this week! Lance Peterson did report that the beach looked great, but because of a finger injury he was unable to take advantage of it.

Water temperature 75-80
Air temperature 60-74
Humidity 82 %
Wind: WNW at 10mph
Conditions: Mostly Clear
Visibility 10 miles
Sunrise 6:40 a.m. MST
Sunset 5:31 p.m. MST

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico
http://www.bajafly.com/report/P1090659.JPG

Most of the talk this last week has been about how great the 2007 bite was. However, Bob Hoyt of Mag Bay Outfitters, reports that there is still ‘fair’ billfish action being found below the Entrada near the pinnacles in spite of the windy conditions; nothing like the double digits of last month but enough to keep things interesting.

He also reports that the Estero action has continued to produce good catches of grouper, pargo, corvina and a few snook. Most of that action took place up toward Boca Santo Domingo.

Water temperature 67 - 75
Air temperature 56 -70
Humidity 66%
Wind: WNW 13 to 18 knots
Conditions: Mostly Cloudyr
Visibility 13 miles
Sunrise 6:50 a.m. MST
Sunset 5:37 p.m. MST

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico

The 84° blue water is just a couple of miles off the beach. All conditions, with calm seas and clear skies, are perfect. But the fishing has been a bit on the slow side.

The blue marlin have been making another showing this week, with about one blue being caught by the fleet almost every day. There are still a few dorado around, and each boat is averaging one to two sailfish a day.

The Northern rooster migration seems to be making its way down, but are still a fairly long boat ride to get to. I was talking to a homeowner up at Saladitas. Saladita is a little over an hour boat ride from Zihuatanejo Bay. He told me there were huge schools of bait out in front of his house, and about 20 big roosters herding them.

I also talked with a surfer who had been up to the Ranch. The Ranch is another 1/2 hour above Saladita. He told me the bait was actually trying to hide under the surfboards, and huge roosters were dashing in and out trying to get at the bait. He said it was the first time he had experienced anything like it, and it was fantastic.

To prove the point even more about our local roosters having disappeared, we fished down South at Puerto Vicente Guerrero and only raised 5 roosters and three jack crevalle after a long day of constant casting with the poppers.

Ed Kunze
Water temperature 80 - 84
Air temperature 67-95
Humidity 86%
Wind: Calm
Conditions: Partly Cloudy
Visibility 4 miles
Sunrise 6:56 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:09 p.m. CST