PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Color

Jay Murakoshi
11-23-2007, 05:13 PM
For those of you who have fished for Peacock Bass, what was your hottest color or favorite fly. There could be a trip in my future and I need to start tying up some HOT flies

Thanks

Jay

Darian
11-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi Jay,.... I'm afraid my personal experience in this area is limited as I haven't fished for Peacocks. However, I was over at Kiene's today and nopticed some flies tied by Andy Guibord for his upcoming trip.

They are similar in color to Fire Tiger without the lime green. Lotsa orange, chartreuese, yellow. orange above and in front. Very bright color levels. Sparse flash (Krystal Flash) and the wings were marked, vertically, with black bars at regular intervals. Large, stick on eyes (didn't notice the colors but flashy) The flies overall length's ranged form 7" to 9" (estimated)..... Hook size had to be at least 4/0, very strong.

You might want to contact Andy and find out what he's doing.... 8) 8) 8)

mems
11-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Aloha Jay, I think it depends on the forage species you have in the water. Here in Hawaii they eat small orange Tilapia in the ponds, so anything orange is a hot ticket. I have gotten them on orange bubblehead poppers, and orange divers. On Kauai they were after small bait fish in stained water, and a small chartreuse and white clouser was the ticket. Couple of pointers I have discovered about this fish. If you can find a big female sitting on her nest, a whole dug out in the mud bottom, they will kill anything that swims by. If you find a school actively feeding one will hit, and then the followers will nail the fly if it is dropped. The weirdest behavior I have seen is if you use a fly on the bottom, say a crayfish. The peacock will swim up to it and actually spit water at the bait with his mouth. Then you just move the fly and they wack it. Of course in the dark waters of the amazon you might never witness any of this behavior. Good luck and have fun they are jumpers and lots of fun, Mems.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/P8250021.jpg