PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions on fishing the Truckee River this Saturday.

Digger0038
11-21-2007, 07:13 PM
This Saturday I am going to be taking my sister back home to Fallon Nv. I will be driving from Lodi to Fallon and back the next day. If everything goes the way it should I will be leaving for home bright and early. The Truckee river will be along my side for a good 2 hours. I have never fished the Truckee, do any of you have any suggestions that may help me get into some fish. I have quite a few fly's but I'm not sure what to use for that river. I'm not asking for any secret spots but do any of you have any areas that would be good to pull over and fish on my way back. Somewhere where I might not get attacked by a bear would be good. :D .....Thanks guys as always your help is greatly appreciated.

BIGBROWN
11-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Pull off on the Hirschdale road exit, it will be about five miles before you get into Truckee on your way home. from there you have many options now that there is no longer a season on the Truckee below trout creek. When pulling off there should be a sign for Boca stampede recreation area. There is a small tailwater between the two reservoirs, known as the little truckee, this is the best fishing up there in my opinion. The little truckee will be to your left when you pull off, the entrance to the recreation area will be well marked, drive along the side of boca reservoir, and at the far end you will come to the beginning of the little truckee which runs three miles before it meets the dam of Stampede reservoir. If you really want to fish the "big truckee" make a right when you pull of on Hirschdale and drive down stream, when you pull off you will immediately come to a fork in the road where you can either go uphill or downhill, go down hill and drive for about a mile, maybe two, you will cross two bridges park on the other side of the second bridge and walk down to the river from there, you should most likely have the entire section to yourself... enjoy. In terms of flies I haven't fished up there in a month but if I were to guess I would surely stock numerous BWO patterns in all stages, as well as a good number of zebra midges, and probably a few copper johns in the 18-22 range. enjoy yourself, DRESS WARM, and please shoot a report back when you return.

Digger0038
11-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Thank you very much. I appreciate the detailed help. I'm going to head to the fly shop to pick up a few of your mantioned patterns and I will post a report on Sunday or Monday.