PDA

View Full Version : Pram plans

Scott V
11-20-2007, 01:33 PM
I have seen plans on line for building a pram from plywood, I was wondering if anyone has built one and if so which set of plans would you recommend.

fishngy
11-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I have been thinking about the same thing. I have found free plans and plan to start building after Thanksgiving. It will be a basic stitch and glue pram/dingy using plywood. I will be using the Woodshop at my school that I work at, since it will not happen in my garage! I hope to have the small pram done after Christmas in time for spring fishing. I will post pictures when done. Bill

Ed Wahl
11-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey Bill, would it be possible for you to take pics as you progress? Give us a little play-by-play? Ed

fishngy
11-20-2007, 09:52 PM
I will take pictures while building. I actually started looking for plans after seeing David Lee's pictures of his pram. A fellow teacher is going to build one also. He has worked with fiberglass, so I will have some help. Bill

erhetta
11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
I looked a while back and saw a couple of decent sites with plans for sale pretty cheap. One even had an active msg board with questions, etc.....

I will post the link if I can find it again.

Hairstacker
11-21-2007, 06:06 PM
I started to build one several years ago based on free plans I found on-line. It was to be built out of one sheet of plywood and, if you do a search on "one sheet skiff," you'll still find the free plans on-line, along with many pictures of boats built by folks based on those plans.

I was about a 3rd of the way finished with mine when, one day, I wandered into Wal Mart and happened to notice some Coleman inflatable kayaks for the 1st time and that they were on sale. Bought my first inflatable kayak that day and the rest is history. The shell of that unfinished one-sheet skiff is still sitting in my garage. :lol:

fishngy
11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
When I get back to work I have the various boat plans/websites on my computer and I will share what I have found if anyone is interested. There is a free plan called "D4 pram", just google it. The plan I am using is from overseas and simpler. I do not want this hanging in my garage someday unfinished. The biggest cost will be the epoxy. Have a great Thanksiving! Bill

Scott V
11-26-2007, 09:39 AM
When I get back to work I have the various boat plans/websites on my computer and I will share what I have found if anyone is interested. There is a free plan called "D4 pram", just google it. The plan I am using is from overseas and simpler. I do not want this hanging in my garage someday unfinished. The biggest cost will be the epoxy. Have a great Thanksiving! Bill

I am interested in any plans you are willing to share.

fishngy
11-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Scott, I sent you a pm. Here is the site and boat I plan to build. http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/dinghy1/simboii.htm I do plan to make some modifications for a trolling motor to be added. Bill

erhetta
11-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Fishngy.....that looks like a fun and very rewarding project. I can't wait to see the progress.

fishngy
01-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Looks like I will not be building a boat/pram. I have been granted permission to purchase a new ride for fishing. I will be getting a 14 foot jon boat. Maybe someday I will build the pram, but not at this time. Bill

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-14-2008, 12:17 PM
If you get a 14' Jon boat you will love it.

Be sure to get one that is 48" wide on the bottom.

The new 20hp Honda or 25hp Yamaha outboards would be good choices for power.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/OurBoats/IMG_1320.sized.jpg

My 14' x 48" (70" beam) Crestliner Jon boat in Florida.

Lowe, Bass Tracker, Fisher, Crestliner, Lund and Klamath all make nice aluminum Jon boats.

fishngy
02-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, I did not get a flat bottom boat. I got a 12 foot v bottom from Sportsmans Warehouse. Working on getting it ready for fishing in the next few weeks. Looking forward to doing some fishing in the summer for bass in the delta. Bill

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Show us a photo some day............

fishngy
02-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Really struggling on how to post pictures??? Woud love to show everyone the new puchase. I will post as soon as I figure it out. Bill

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh319/fishngy/IMG_0785.jpg

Ed Wahl
02-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Wow! :shock: :shock: That's some Drill Press you've got there! Kidding. Very nice boat Bill. Gotta motor lined up yet? Ed

fishngy
02-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Wow it worked??? I have a five hp briggs and stratton on the back. It is camo see you can't see it! Going to go to Folsom to try it out tomorrow. But first to DMV for the third time to get the paperwork correct. I like that drillpress! Bill