PDA

View Full Version : Lower Kings River advice???

Capn Paul
11-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Hello all,
I am going to try the lower Kings on Tuesday. From what I can gather, BWO's and small EHC's (14-18) are good flies there. If anyone has any advice on where to go, or not go, or anything at all please share. I have never fished there before, but I understand it is a good fishery. I will post results of my trip, and hopefully pictures, when I return. Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2007, 08:55 AM
http://www.herbbauersportinggoods.com/

Check with "Herb Bauer Sporting Goods" in Fresno, CA.

Cruzin4Metalheads
11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Went to Fresno State and spent a fair amount of time fishing the entire kings system. Below pine flat is not my favorite stretch as it gets HAMMERED by bait guys! But, if that's where you are going your best shot to hook up with anything decent is either...
1. right below the army corps bridge (below the dam)
2. piedra bridge to below the alta wier.
There are some nice riffles right above the alta wier, park at the orange grove with river access. walk straight out and start working upstream.
It will take you a while to figure out the river, but whatever you throw at them keep it SMALL!

If you are going to spend any time fishing the Kings fish above pine flat or in the park. There are some really big fish in that river, you just have to know where to look. :D

lower river map: http://www.krcd.org/_pdf/BRO-guide_to_kings_river.pdf

good luck!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks "Cruzen"

That is a first class response.

I have never fished the Kings down that way but heard lots about it.

Cruzin4Metalheads
11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Anytime, it's what the board is here for.

It really is a beautiful river when you get above pine flat, and into the park. Good winter trout fishery. There are a few spots on the river that seldom get fished and have some real large fish willing to take flies.

If anyone wants info on the upper river send me a pm.

Bernard
11-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Hello all,
I am going to try the lower Kings on Tuesday. From what I can gather, BWO's and small EHC's (14-18) are good flies there. If anyone has any advice on where to go, or not go, or anything at all please share. I have never fished there before, but I understand it is a good fishery. I will post results of my trip, and hopefully pictures, when I return. Thanks

This response might be a little late. I have very little experience with that area but I personally live too far and prefer less "managed" watersheds. All that said, a recent survey posted alludes to more wild fish than we think. See: http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2569. Kind of neat inmo.

:)
Bernard

Cruzin4Metalheads
11-21-2007, 05:49 PM
That is really low water. Lower than I think I have ever seen!

Capn Paul
11-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Sorry for the delay in posting my report, but with the holiday I jus had so much else going on.

I checked out the lower Kings river all day on Tuesday. At first glimpse I was thinking "Oh boy this could be good!", but I must say I was very disappointed. There was SOOOOO much litter on the bank from careless slobs that it made me truly sad. I put my rod down several times and picked up three garbage bags of litter, including pizza boxes (!), food wrappers, old mono, lots of bait jars, lure packages, etc. Add to that the wannabe gang graffiti EVERYWHERE, including on the trunks of trees! I guess I just didn't expect to see that sort of thing. :cry:
As for the fishing, I saw one trout rise around noon during a pretty good BWO hatch, but nothing was interested in what I had to offer. I tried nymphing and dries, but the adults were so tiny, way smaller than anything BWO imitation in my box. I'll guess size 22. I tried above Alta weir, below the bridge at trimmer springs, behind Avocado Lake Park, and at several other spots, all for no fish. I did get lots of practice at presentation, casting, and line mending though :D . I didn't encounter another person until after 3pm, and only a few after that, including one guy who seemed intent on standing behind me while I cast. A friend of a friend says that when the flows are low, which they are, that the fish move up by the dam. I actually drove up to the dam in the afternoon, but there were 10 bait dunkers there, most with 2 rods each, so I headed back downstream to fish by myself. I didn't see if any of the bait posse had any fish on their stringers.
There was a pretty good caddis hatch coming off at dusk, and I thought I was matching it pretty well with a #16 EHC, but no interest. I fact, I only saw 1 decent fish rise, but several smolts were puddling around for a few minutes. It would be easy to become frustrated and think I was doing stuff wrong, but I have caught a lot of trout, and I dont think that was the case. I could be wrong though.
Anyway, I think next time I will venture to the upper Kings. I may try the lower again at some point, but not until the flows are up.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cruzin4Metalheads
11-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Sounds about right for the lower kings.

briansII
11-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Hello all,

This response might be a little late. I have very little experience with that area but I personally live too far and prefer less "managed" watersheds. All that said, a recent survey posted alludes to more wild fish than we think. See: http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2569. Kind of neat inmo.

:)
Bernard

Well, if ANY wild fish can be considered "more wild fish than we think", i'd agree. :? They are spending a boat load of money to "restore" the river, but...... In dry years there just isn't enough water to keep a healthy trout habitat. They have taken steps to keep the water temps cool enough(cold water bypass at the dam), but with lows flows, and high heat, it's marginal at best....imho.

You can't have a viable wild trout fishery, if you don't have water.

As for the trash, it's pretty sad. I will see familys along the banks, with parents throwing their trash on the ground, even when a trash can is nearby. Naturally, the children follow by example. Sad really.

briansII