PDA

View Full Version : delta frustration

Ed Wahl
11-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Tough day in the delta yesterday, met up with Scott V. at Lundborgs at first light, Scott in his 'toon and me in my pram. Fished around the slough, and in the tract for a few hours, nothing happening. Wandered down Sandmound about 1.5 miles and fished around there 'til the wind started ripping real hard. Picked up 3 smallish LMB, no stripers. Found the sea lion again. Getting real tired of the almost constant tangles while casting :x , has anyone used any kind of stripping basket or tub in a boat this small(8ft)? I saw a guy using a tall bucket while casting out of a bass boat, at least he could still cast with the wind howling like that. I don't really have the floor space for one of those, but the concept looks pretty attractive. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Jim Christensen found some round sturdy plastic trash cans (18" x 40"?) at Lowe's for $30.

You put a little water in them and your line shoots like crazy.

They add some little spikes/pegs in the bottom to keep the line from twisting around while it is in the bucket.

Tony Buzolich
11-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey Ed,

Let me know when you're coming by the store and I'll let you try my out. A friend made an insertable/removeable floor for it with posts to minimize the tangles and it really works.

I've also got the Mangrove one that all of the guys were waiting for but I think this older mesh one works and looks better.

TONY
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/LaPazJune21_095135.jpg

Tony Buzolich
11-18-2007, 03:53 PM
The picture shows two of my best friends wearing these baskets on our last trip to La Paz. These guys wear them constantly while fishing stripers in the delta or the river.

What makes them nice is they are light AND collapsable when sitting down or walking any distance.

Ken Gustafsen (the fellow on the right) improved them by building a floor with dowels that sit on the bottom of the basket helping to minimize line tangle. They swear by them.
TONY

HC
11-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Ed, Stan P. makes the Hip Shooter, which is a EVA foam rubber basket that hangs from a belt on your hip. Comfy, and works great I am told. Check the archives on Blantons board. Harley

Ed Wahl
11-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys. Bill, the trash can sounds good except for my limited floor space, not enough room for in the pram for a floor device. Tony, thanks for the offer, my schedule thru Y.C. is totally random, but if I can I'll take you up on that. Harley, I googled the hipshooter, like the design, looks like a lot of thought went into it. Ed

briansII
11-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys. Bill, the trash can sounds good except for my limited floor space, not enough room for in the pram for a floor device. Tony, thanks for the offer, my schedule thru Y.C. is totally random, but if I can I'll take you up on that. Harley, I googled the hipshooter, like the design, looks like a lot of thought went into it. Ed

Bill has the Hip Shooters in stock(or at least he did). It has two options. One is a wading bottom, that has holes in it to drain water. The other is a boat bottom, with a solid bottom, to hold a little water to keep your line wet. I've used mine a limited amount, and it's a very useful tool.

briansII

HC
11-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Hey Ed, I hope you found a solution to the line fouling problem while fishing from your pram. i think each solution has plus and minus to be considered. A trick you can try if you still need a fix is to drape canvass or anet across your stripping area. It needs to be heavy or weighted so the winds don't blow it around. It really cuts down on the tangles and snags. Good luck Harley

Ed Wahl
11-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I took the garbge can idea. I put some quarter inch drip tube pieces sticking up from the bottom. Used it today, like night and day as far as loose line and tangles go.Definitly takes some getting used to, but worth it. Ed