PDA

View Full Version : Americacn River and Tribs

Jim Lowe
11-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to the area. My parents have moved into the foothills so I'll be spending a lot of time outside of Placerville. I'm wondering if I'm reading the regs correctly and could use some insight.

From what I can see, the various forks of the American and it's tribs are open to catch and release fishing during the off season. This includes the silver fork and tribs to the south fork including the streams in the Crystal Basin. I'm I reading the regs correctly?

Thanks.

Ed Wahl
11-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Howdy Jim, yep you've read 'em right. Where are you from? Ed

Jim Lowe
11-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally from CT. but I've been living in the Bay Area for a while. My parents have moved to the foothills and I know nothing about fishing in this area. I was up in the Crytsal Basin yesterday fishing the lakes. Had I known the tribs were open I would have fished them as I'm basically a small stream fisher.

I've been having a hard time finding good fishing information about the lakes and streams around Placerville. I stopped in the ranger station on 50 expecting to find a "fishing in the El Dorado national forest" flier but they don't have such a thing.

Thanks for the confirmation.

robdog
11-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Jim welcome aboard. There are a lot of streams to investigate up in the Sierras. Add to the fact that the American River Tribs are year round now, you can always check them out. Not too far and really quiet from traffic. Checkout this website (http://stevenojai.tripod.com/). This guy has some very good tips. Also the reports on Kiene's are nice as well.

erhetta
11-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey WELCOME Jim!

The link robdog provided is one of the best sierra stream and lake research tools alongside a good map! I just found it a couple weeks ago and love it!

Get out there and explore! It will pay off. Now if I could take my own advice....hmmm....

Anyway, if you come down the hill to fish the lower A, shoot me a PM. I might be heading out and always love to fish with new peeps.

Jim Lowe
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks guys. I'm familar with that site but haven't checked it out in a number of years. I've been going through a bunch of my old fishing books and have found a lot of interesting place to fish now that I know they're open.

Thanks again.