PDA

View Full Version : Feather Report

matt johnson
11-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Fished the high flow section of the Feather River after work this week with a buddy. No, the fishing wasn't red hot and the salmon #'s are down, but we hooked enough fish to make us forget about the fact that the Feather is kind of a messed up place. We were instead focused on the next tasty bucket and the hope of another fired up Feather steelie!

The trick is to find actively spawning salmon. A redd or area of redds that have females digging and males ripping around is what you want. We covered a lot of ground to find this, but it was worth it. If you see a single female with an eroded caudal that is just sitting there, this is not the best place to fish, although it is always worth a cast if there is a nice depression nearby.

We fished real simple and clean. No indicator, split shot, and a single bead. Yes I peg beads. It works better. Just keep the bead about 1.5 inches from the hook. Go get em. Matt
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee281/ozziebooboo/feather1.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee281/ozziebooboo/feather2.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-17-2007, 11:42 AM
They look like they are eating well.

Thanks Matt.

Adam Grace
11-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Nice steelhead, they're dark but nice sized. The wife gave you a permission slip away from the new baby I see, good for you.

Congratulations again on your new child.

Notch
11-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Nice fish Johnson, now I know why you bailed early last week. It's about time you went out and fished...

dtp916
11-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey nice job, Matt. A lot of guys are having trouble this year on the Feather. What color bead did you find most effective?

matt johnson
11-18-2007, 09:00 AM
James,

We were using the basic orange 8mm bead painted with two coats of "sheer" or "naked" nail polish to soften up the color.

I guess we got lucky? We found a couple good pods of salmon, it was almost dark, and hardly anyone out. Matt.

wjorg
11-30-2007, 09:02 PM
hitch the bead dont peg it!!!!

Charlie Gonzales
11-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Way togo Johnson. Hope the family is well. Good luck on the upcoming trip with KD. How bout I cater your guys day and make your lunches. I can meet you downtown and pass off the food(even if you are a vegetarian).Let me know what think.

Charlie

Dustin Revel
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
hitch the bead dont peg it!!!!

what do you mean by hitch the bead?

NICE fish matt!!!

wjorg
12-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Use a logger hitch not a toothpick to peg the bead. Takes some practice to logger hitch the bead at exactly 1/5 Inches from the hook but it is worth it.

As the pegged bead moves closer to the hook, you risk the fish swallowing the bead and hook. If the bead moves further up the line, the hook snags the outer part of the fishes face.

At least Matt gave the good advice of keeping the bead 1.5 Inches from the hook.

Not to be too preachy...but I learned from the man who first put nail polish on beads for trout and made it popular.

matt johnson
12-02-2007, 02:01 PM
wjorg,

Can you describe a "logger hitch"? I loop the tippet around the bead and then tie on the hook. This simple technique keeps the bead from sliding pretty well but maybe the "logger hitch" is even better? I also jam in and break off a tooth-pick into the bead. A guide friend told me to do this because he felt it gives the bead a little more "bouyancy" and therefore a little more natural look in the drift. Who knows? That is just the kind of thing I get hung up on and will probably continue to do anyways.

I think bead fishing is cool and is decidedly in the spirit of "hatch-matching" and innovation. Mike Mercer told me a story about taking apart his "Battle Creek Specials" up on the Copper a long time ago so he could use the pink chineille (sp?) to whip up a better egg imitation. Beads are just a continuation of the effort to "build a better moustrap" when dealing with egg eating fish. People just need to be respectful of the hook/bead arrangement. The fish should come first. Matt.

wjorg
12-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Matt,

I applaud your effort to make sure the bead stays 1.5 Inches from the hook. How you loop the bead is the logger hitch I refer to.

I found most people peg because they cant hitch the egg in the right place, its hard to get it right. When the peg bead slides around, thats when you get into trouble, or should I say the fish.

Your efforts will make sure the fish you release come back!