PDA

View Full Version : I'm heading your way (please help)

Gornzorn
11-17-2007, 12:46 AM
OK, So I'm heading to the desert for the big turkey day and then driving a car back for the folks. I'll want to fish for salmon and steelhead (it's the only way I'd have agreed to this deal) and I have never fished the No. cal and So. Oregon area before. let me say I'm not asking for you favorite hole or your favorite spot, but I could use some pointers.
I'll need to get a lic. which I can figure that out, I'll have a car and I'll have both the 8wt and the 8wt spey, sink tip, floating line, fly boxes, waders....i'm bringing it all. but then what, where would you go? What rivers? I'll need to stay close to I-5 (30-40 ish) minutes away. I'll be wading so could someone point me in the right direction. I just found this site which lists some rivers but I want to maximize my time since I need to get back home to work.
I'll be calling the Kiene's fly shop at some point but thought I'd check with the members as well.
What flies can I tie up as well? I guess I'm hitting a wall because I've had no prep time for this, so thanks in advance and if you coming to the Seattle area and you'd like some advice Pm and I'll repay the favor.
Frank.
Tight lines Gentleman!

MrBig
11-17-2007, 05:02 AM
The Trinity River in N. CA is hot right now. It takes about 1 hour to get there from I-5. Once in Redding, CA, take 299W to Junction City, CA. There is river access everywhere. Trinity Fly Shop in Lewiston, CA for info.

I know you said Steelhead/Salmon, but you should consider some trout fishing on the Upper Sacramento River. It runs right along I-5 from Dunsmuir, CA down to Lake Shasta. Ted Fay fly shop in Dunsmuir for info.

You can hit the lower Sacramento River for Salmon right now.

Good luck!!!

Rick J
11-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Southern Oregon along I-5 there is the famous North Umpqua out of Roseburg - maybe 30 minutes to an hour drive east depending on sections of the river - please note this is a treacherous river to wade and you need corkers - stop off at Blue Heron Fly Shop right at the bottom end of the Fly only water and talk to Joe.

Farther south there is the Rogue River near Grants Pass/Medford

Farther south in California you will come to the Klamath - I would go west toward Happy Camp though not sure how far off I-5 that is as I have not gone via this direction to reach it before

All can be easily fished with your two 8's.

Good luck

Gornzorn
11-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks Gentleman. I'm still unsure if i'm driving back or flying back. But as i sit here loading my gear bag with everything i'm unsure weather i'll even use any of it. But i'm packing it anyway. My other (and not likely) option is to change my ticket, rent a car, and just take a few days and go fish up north.
It looks like this will go together, maybe Monday, but I want to try and remain uninvested (if that's a word) in it. I guess I don't want to get my hopes up. I will have access to a computer while i'm in the desert so any additional help is still appreciated as I'll be there is the Mon. Am but I won't be leaving (either way) till Friday.
Go Seahawks!
Frank.

SteelieD
11-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, just so you know. Frank is a fishing buddy of mine from Seattle and I suggested he post here to get the local info and maybe a fishing partner. I suggested the Trinity and the Klamath as well! Any how, just want to let you know he's not a troll looking for secret info, just a good dude who loves to fish!

See you when I get back from Whistler Frank! We'll chase those steelies... they're bound to cooperate sooner or later! Hope you trip goes well

DP

Gornzorn
11-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the plug Derek! Ya I could you a fishing partner I guess. I'm like most guys, who wants to ask for help, not me!
Derek, I tried to log into the other site to see what's happening, it's down again??
Well, I'm on a flight in the AM and it's supposed to be 85 degrees, Sweet. I'll be watching Monday night football at the club house in shorts, i can't wait!
have a good time, I'll see you in roughly a week. And we will get them to cooperate!

thedryflyguy
11-19-2007, 12:23 AM
If you want to fish the Rogue I would suggest you call Josh White at 541-476-0552. He can definitely help you out if you want to fish the Rogue. My wife and I fished with him on our honeymoon and he got my wife (a novice fly angler at best) into double digit steelhead over 3 days.

As for the Trinity, you have probably read the postings about the crowds. If you want a bit of solitude I would hit the Klamath. Not as many fish and not nearly as many fishermen. If your a brave soul venture over to the Trinity, but be prepared to be high holed, low holed, drifted through and potentially drifted over if you wade out into the lane of drift boats.

Good luck on your trip.