PDA

View Full Version : New Striper food

Scott V
11-16-2007, 07:22 PM
I know these have been tied this way before by someone, but it is my new look to me and I like it. I was taught a phrase during my architectural career, and it is "KISS" Keep it Simple Stupid. So I made these as simple as possible, but I really like the looks. Tomorrow morning we will see if they are like by the stripers.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0636.jpg

This is my favorite one and will get used or hopefully devoured first.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0637.jpg

And his bigger brother.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0638.jpg

Tony Buzolich
11-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Those look good Scott. It'll be interesting how well they work.

For the past few weeks I've had at least a half dozen stripers grab and hold on to the fly without ever being hooked. They clamped down so tightly that they could be boated easily and even then wouldn't let go without a lot of shaking. The shaking ultimately schreaded the hair and tinsel off the fly before release.

What I'm getting at is the amount of length you have on your fly. Both could easily accomadate either a stinger hook or a Siwash which would provide grab when those stripers bite short.

Just a thought,
TONY

Charlie Bisharat
11-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Scott, Nice work and I think if they swim well you will be pleased with their success.I have worked with slinky fiber a lot . My "Charlie's Airhead" is 100% slinky fiber and slinky blend.Something that has helped me is ,I have a stainless steel parts brush ( that I got from Home depot)that I use to comb out and organize slinky-kinky fiber. Several strokes with a brush like that and all the fibers are in line and order.It then makes it easy to thin, if need be ,or cut a nice taper to the rear of the fly, etc. There is nothing worse than trimming a fly that the fibers are not organized, you end up with a bare spot or a hole in the "body" shape of a fly.I personally have never had much luck with crystal flash and slinky fiber mixed together as in my experience it has matted severly.Especially after a few fish or run ins with delta salad. I prefer fire fly or flashaboo, seems to flow and blend better.WHEN you have them, show us some photos of the nice fish you are bound to catch on those flies. Nice going. Cheers Chas

Adam Grace
11-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Scott, a few years back I played around with that type of material, I also tied up a bunch of large flies. Unfortunately when I tried to fish them they floated due to all that hair trapping air, I hope that you do not find the same thing happening to your flies.

Scott V
11-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Well I went to the delta on Saturday with Ed, I myself caught nothing, not even a cold. Ed caught a few LMB, but my new clouser looked beautiful in the water and was able to sink with no problem. Even though I caught nothing I know it will work once I get into fish. But as far as I am concerned my pontoon will not visit the delta until next spring. So now I can concentrate on what steelies are in the American and whatever I can fins in local ponds and anything that touches the American.