PDA

View Full Version : Panfish rod suggestions

Scott V
11-14-2007, 08:10 AM
I would like to get a new outfit that is strictly for panfish, so I want as light as tackle as possible. I am looking for suggestions on some super light tackle. Price is definetly a consideration, so please nothing to expensive.

Thanks for any info.

Darian
11-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey Scott,.... It's sure taking your buddy a long time to come down from that catnip high. :lol: :lol: :lol:

For Panfishin', just about any brand rod in a light line weight will do (especially since economy is important). The action is important, tho. I've always used a softer action rod for panfish. They're easy to cast, using the type of flies involved, and the soft action prevents us from jerking the fly out of the fishes mouth and protects tippets from breaking easily on the strike. 8)

To find a softer action, you'll want to look at rods that have some glass included in the rod materials. 8)

This is a good time to go to Kiene's as they have a buch of rods on sale. You might be able to get a quality rod for a good price. :D :D

Mike Churchill
11-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Scott,

This past spring I picked up a two piece TFO 7 1/2-foot 3 weight at Kienes for $79 for small stream trout and panfish. I liked it so much I bought a second one for my kids to use. :D

It's a sweet little rod on an IM6 blank. Fighting hand-sized panfish and 10-inch smallies is a hoot. :twisted: Plus, it's so nice to light and delicate to cast that it makes my 5 weights feel like broomsticks.

Mike

charles
11-15-2007, 07:01 AM
I agree with Mike,
I bought a three wieght outfit from Kienes about 6months ago and love it for small stream bass and panfish. I even caught a 20inch spotted black bass on it (that was fun). Suprisingly I can still throw small poppers and even big hoppers with it. Great fun :D !!

Scott V
11-15-2007, 07:11 AM
I have a TFO Pro series 3 weight I use for trout, I will give it a try for panfish. This means money saved, thank you one and all.

Darian my kitty just loves her catnip, I have no idea where she got here addiction from, I guess that is what I get when you adopt a street wise kitty. :lol: