PDA

View Full Version : Fly casting......?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Well, this is a deep subject.

I can tell you that if everyone would work more on becoming a very good fly caster I would be able to retire some day.

Think about it...........

The biggest complaint we have from guides is that 90% of their clients can't cast.

When we send them a customer who can cast we usually get flowers and candy the next day.

In some cases you don't have to know how to fly cast to catch fish.

Ed Wahl
11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Bill, I have known several people who have fished small streams in the sierras for a decade before learning how to cast. In those situations casting takes a back seat to reading the water. Ed

Adam Grace
11-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Ed, reading the water IS very important!, but if the fisherman cannot deliver the fly properly to the right water the reading of the water means nothing.

Bad casting techniques such as your fly line is sent crashing on top of feeding fish, snagging your fly on structures, your dry fly dragging or skating across the surface due to a lack of slack on the surface allowing a drag-free drift, or tangling up your rig due to a tailing loop or any other casting problems can drastically reduce the amount of caught fish while reducing the enjoyment of fishing due to the frustrations created by poor techniques.

IMO casting is the most important aspect of fly fishing!

JT
11-12-2007, 12:14 AM
I have to agree with Ed when it comes to small streams. I've found that my fly line is barely out of the tip of the rod when fishing small sierra streams. As Bill said, "In some cases you don't have to know how to fly cast to catch fish." I'd have to say that's one of those cases. However, when fishing bigger water, I agree that casting is of upmost importance.

jlmelend
11-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Having grown up in the midwest, I learned only one way to fish a 3 weight in creeks and streams and one way to use a spin rod in lakes and still water.
When I arrived here, I had to learn 20 different ways to fish using 4 different rods due to the diverse venues and species. Thus, I'm still a newbie to fly fishing out here compared to most; it seems that the learning curve since arriving here is steeper than in my youth due to sheer number of different fishing venues.

I'm no expert, but between fishing in crowds in busy rivers (including the american) and remote streams in the sierras, I think the real genius lies in adapting to the huge range of permutations thrown at you by the different fishing situations you get into. So I would only add that for me, the importance of knowing many different ways to cast and present is a premium given that 80% of flyfishing occurs in non-ideal conditions. I found Jeff Putnam's single handed spey techniques extremely helpful in this regard. He put out a helpful DVD that you can buy at Kienes (shameless plug), but the best way to learn is private instruction and supervised practice.

Joe

BigBuddha
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
If you are restricted to small streams I can see where lack of skill casting is not important to you, but imagine how much more fun it is to make those long casts for shad, or still water fishing? I started off doing a lot of high sticking and nymphing, but being able to cast opened up a whole lot of fun. Plus I kinda like casting.

Ed Wahl
11-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Not arguing the point at all. But the fact is, I know some guys who are small stream masters, and they can't cast long at all. Like JT said, just a foot or so of line out of the end of the rod, the rest is leader. Reading the water and stealth are far more important in those spots. Drags easily overcome at such short range. Now when I say small stream I mean small stream. Beaver Creek small. It's already famous and overused so I don't mind naming it, the others are mine too and so will remain secret. While these guys are severly handicapped when it comes to larger water or lakes, they take a back seat to no one on small water. I'm pretty sure they will eventually learn the skills to cast longer,( they're both pretty young), I have to wonder just how many skilled distance casters are out there who can't fish the tiny water. This is a wonderfully varied sport isn't it? Ed

Tony Buzolich
11-14-2007, 07:12 AM
This topic isn't limited to just small stuff. Try taking a couple of guys out that have ONLY cast small flies on trout streams and then put a 9 weight in their hand with a shooting head and a six inch Clouser. :shock:

I've taken some of these guys out and they professed to be good fly casters only to find out they never have picked up anything bigger than a 5 weight.

Having a good experience includes some learning, and learning to cast a sinking line requires some practice that a lot of good casters never experience. :? Did that come out right?
TONY

JT
11-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Conditions are constantly changing. You need to be able to present your fly in an enticing manner despite the ever-changing conditions. I think I'm finally seeing what Bill was trying to say. If we all took Bill's advise to practice casting in the conditions that we may face, we would all be better fishermen. It might mean casting huge, weighted streamers in the wind with a 9wt or casting tiny flies in an orchard with a 3wt. I've seriously practiced casting in a grove of trees (perfect small stream practice). I learned quickly that you have to be totally aware of your surroundings.

mikenewman
11-14-2007, 09:41 AM
"Seen plenty of great casters who were poor fishermen but never seen a great fisherman who wasn't a great caster" - Confucius