PDA

View Full Version : Polarized sunglass survey for my fly shop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Can some of you post what quality polarized sunglasses you would buy today.

What brands do you think that fly fisherman should be looking at?

Thanks for your input.

Darian
11-11-2007, 08:25 PM
I have a pair of wrap-around polycarbonate, polarized glasses from Action Optics that I've used for about 10 years, now. I like the style of the lense as it doesn't let in a lot of light and breaks the wind. 8) 8) However, there is some slight vision distortion and, after wearing them all day, I sometimes get a headache. :? :?

I had a pair of brown shaded, polarized glass lenses in the prior sunglasses and they were comfortable to wear without apparent distortion. Can't recall the name, tho. :? :?

I would prefer glass lenses, photochromatic in a pilot style frame similar to RayBan (plastic or wire frame). Unfortunately, meeting those requirements means that the price-tag will be high and, if lost, so will the grief level. :lol: :lol: I may end up having a pair of presription, polarized glasses made up. 8) 8)

BigBuddha
11-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I use Oakleys which have multiple lenses I can switch to meet lighting conditions. I don't think they have glasses specifically for fly fishing, but the polarized ones are ideal for it.

JT
11-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a pair of $20 polarized glasses that I bought a couple of years ago. I can't afford to buy the expensive ones just to lose or break them. I guess you can say I'm cheap.

mako
11-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Hi guy's
Most of the fisho's i know,game,sport and fly wear photochromatic Spotters, and a few wear the same but in the Mako's.
I have had my Spotter's for about 5 or 6 years.
It's time for a new pair,but as most people say they are expensive and they aren't really fashionable.But they are comfortable and they work.
I think if you spend the money on Quality fishing tackle,Why not on the more important things such as quality eye protection.
You know people spend time washing and polishing there expensive fishing tackle,why not take 5 minutes to wash your sunnies in fresh water and dry them with a soft cloth and put them back in there case.That's why they last you for years and are a worthy investment..
After all, at the end of countless hours scanning the water for those working birds or the gentle rise of a trout,or even spotting Bones,you need what works for you!!!!!!
But that's just my opinion..

jbird
11-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Bill

I've been wearing Habervisions lately. They are the photochromo...thingies. I like them very much!

Jay

dtp916
11-12-2007, 07:23 PM
I have Habervisions. Good so far. Sometimes I hit the water just right and it highlights up in a neon blue. Kind of irritating when I'm trying to watch a #18 nymph float by to a fish.

My Smith's got scratched too easily, and I lost them fishing with JT.

I was looking at Oakley's new polarized collection, interesting.... :roll:

Rick J
11-13-2007, 07:00 AM
I have always been a fan of Smith/Action Optics and have used their prescription glasses (both in glass and poly) - I prefer amber and brown shades for most of the fishing I do

Lucky
11-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I have been unsing http://www.polareyes.com/ for several years. Price is nice and the warranty is good also. Had to return one pair and no questions asked send it back. They even let me change from Grey to Amber on the lenses.

Don Powell
11-13-2007, 05:34 PM
As a prescription glasses wearer, I have been totally satisfied with the Cocoons I bought at your shop, Bill. I am pleased that they are available in different sizes and lens colors to adapt to different conditions. The wrap-around styling is extra protection from errant casts. I hope you continue carrying them.

Don

Bruce Slightom
11-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Bill, I have two pairs of Action Optics. One pair has magnifiers in them. I like that feature when tying on small flies as my eyesight is not what it used to be.

I have just purchased a pair of shooting glasses that have bright yellow lenses. I do not like to cast without some form of eye protection on and in low light periods I get tired of putting on my glasses to cast and then having to take them off to see the line. Will be interested to see how they work.

arbolado
11-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I use Action Optics and am currently wearing the Passage frame with glass prescription lenses. I am also using a pair of Action Optics with poly lenses that are prescription for my mountain biking activity.

I have been very pleased with my Action Optics as they have done three pairs of prescription lenses and they have always gotten them to me in a timely manner.

I prefer glass lenses as they don't scratch as easy, clean easier and seem to be crisper. I am using copper right now for general stream fishing, but prefer grey for bright days on salt water.

I have also used Maui Jims before I went prescription and their product was great.

Jgoding
11-15-2007, 02:54 PM
I had a pair of Ray Ban's that were great some years ago. Glass lenses. I have a pair of Revo's now and they seem to kind of suck.....

Jeff

flygolf
11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Kaenon. I love them

Mike Churchill
11-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I've gone through a pair of polarized Ray-Bans every 12-15 months for several years.

Was just about to buy another pair when I got a pair of Maui Jim's at a golf tournament. Better optically, more comfortable, but not quite as dark as I prefer.

Over all, very nice.

Gregg
11-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Definitley second the votes for Kaenon and Oakley. Top quality products.

erhetta
11-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Another opinion -

I seem to go though sunglasses like I do socks. I long ago realized that I cannot keep sunglasses intact and for any long period of time.

I would love to see a line of polarized glasses that are not so expensive I worry about them, but cheap enough to buy on the way out to the river when I have just sat on my last pair getting into the car. 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-20-2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks everyone.

I took a survey by calling other fly shops and checking fly fishing online stores for sunglasses.

The most popular low end glasses that most all the fly shops carry is "Fisherman Eyewear/Cable Car Sunglasses".

We sell tons of them..........

The most popular high end brand in fly shop is "Smith/Action Optics".

The two that are newer to this industry are Oakley and Kaenon.

We have Fisherman and Action Optics fopr years.

We will be adding Oakley soon.

Jay Murakoshi
11-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I've been using Costa Del Mar. Green Mirror and Blue Mirror. They are great for the Baja waters. I also have a pair of Maui Jim's but with the oriental nose, they are always on the tip on my nose. I guess plastic surgery would solve the problem.

Jay

Mrs.Finsallaround
11-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Paul just bought me a pair of those Cocoons a few weeks ago, and I LOVE them 8) . Better than those cheapy clip-ons! Those of us wearing eyeglasses are a little limited in what we have to choose from... :?

Gregg
11-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Mrs. Fin... Oakley can outfit you in prescription lenses, and I believe Action can as well. It's a bit on the spendy side, but well worth it from what I hear. Word is insurance will pick up a healthy portion of the tab...

john
01-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Jay: A comment and a question: I bought a pair of reasonably high-end glasses that wouldn't "stay up". I found a sheet of 8 or 10 stick-on nose pads at a big box retailer for about a dollar. Once on and dry, they last quite awhile, even through the sweat and dunkings. The question: aside from looking way-cool, does the flash/mirror finish improve vision?

Darian
01-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Hmmmm,.... I've wondered the same thing myself (about the effectiveness of mirrored lenses). :? :? Hope someone can/will answer this. :) :) I've worn them during racquetball sessions to keep opponents from seeing where I'm lookin' to shoot. :evil: :evil: :evil: Doesn't seem to affect my vision, tho. :lol:

Ed Wahl
01-02-2008, 06:35 PM
The mirror lenses are absolutley necessary when your threatening a con. "What we have heah, is a failya to communicate". :D I believe they can also cook your nose to a bright rosy hue. Ed

Amador
02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
For my money, the discussion begins and ends with Oakley.

Jay Murakoshi
02-11-2008, 10:52 AM
I've found that the mirror lenses reflect off more light reflection from the water surface which for me let's me see in the water or on the surface. I don't know how true my statement is but I've taken my standard lenses and viewed the water surface and it seems more light comes through the glass.
The blue mirror or green mirror gives a different perspective on the waters surface.

I'm now trying out a couple pairs of Habervision glasses. I'll let you know the findings and results.

Jay

Nip Hadlock
02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o

pgw
02-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Guideline, the new series from Rudy Deluca's Fisherman's Eyewear.

I need a bifocal prescription now and the service from the Guideline folks was great and they credited my local shop for a pair of the same glasses (the Rogue model) so that shop didn't loose a sale because of the prescription order. The model fits my XL face, the Rx is perfect and I have no complaints.

This after over 20 years of Action Optics (back when you could deal direct with Doc Nasser himself) which now, don't seem to fit my face width or temple length.

Paul

Kevin Goding
06-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I bought a pair of Cabelas Extreme hunter III glasses, in the Amber lens. IMO I think amber lenses brighten up certain colors especially green, but this makes up for any dimming effects that some sun glasses may cause, especially as the sun starts to go down. They are lightweight, durable, and stylish to boot. Also, similar to some of the other posters, I get headaches from sunglasses that distort images, and these glasses are extremely comfortable all day. Plus you can get them in camo patterns as well and make them your fishing/hunting glasses.

Nip Hadlock
06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Name of the thread:

"Polarized sunglass survey for my fly shop." #-o

formula1
09-18-2008, 10:16 AM
So far I've been happy with Maui Jims. Last couple of times I shopped for sunglasses I put on a variety of sunglasses and looked near and far to spot any distortion. My vision is 20/15 so I'm pretty good at spotting distortion and the MJ's seem to have the least distortion of any of the big names I tried...but the differences are small, and I think any of the big names would do great. I thought about Oakley's but I've heard from a few people and on some reviews on the net that if you don't use their specific cleaning cloth on the lenses that the coating will scratch/wear off...that put me off since it brings into question the lenses coating durability as well as the inability to use any microfiber cloth I have on hand.

Jepatock
09-19-2008, 06:55 AM
I have a pair of Kaenon's that I have owned for 5 years. They recently had a problem with the lenses delaminating. I sent them back and within a week, a new pair arrived. Good service and great quality.

www.kaenon.com

Pete
09-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey Bill,

I have a pair of perscription Action Optics - wouldn't buy anything else.